We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 1

Mike "Oh yes nearly forgot about the WW1 and WW2 debts to the USA, still in a generation or two they should be nearly out of debt"

Did you also forget the 'final' payments made in about 2006 to clear the same?

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 1

On a bit of a tangent. There was an interesting comment in today's i newspaper by Oliver Wright.

Under plans for a new post-independence Scottish public service broadcaster. Scotland could hive off the £325M BBC licence fee but the BBC would then have no choice but to turn off the signal for Scotland. It would probably then be on a pay per view basis. TV catchup and iplayer would not work as Scotland would be outside of the UK.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

I'm sure that neither the Scots nor the BBC would behave like that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

oresome

Free parking at hospitals free prescriptions free universities free bridge tolls etc,

[yet we have no say.] You have a say for all of those things but you just tend to ignore it hoping that someday you may get the same.

United Kingdom I cant see where it is united when some parts of the country are better off than others.

It is just little things like that which may make them vote for independence.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Quite apart from the economic issues, the military ones are interesting. Will Faslane/ Coulport be available, or will they become "Sovereign bases" as did Akrotiri and Dekelia in Cyprus? Will Scotland have its own Army, Navy and Air Force? The questions on the military issues alone seem endless..Presumably if they vote "Yes" they would be for a while, outside the EU, and the tariff barrier issue arises.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Turkeys voting for christmas. Salmond et al dont seem to be capable of realistically looking at the long term implications of independance. However, should it go their way (as it probably will do, given the amount of time and effort they are putting into rigging it their way) then the first few weeks/months after independance will be a grand and glorious time indeed.

The scottish nationalists are chasing independance like a dog chases passing cars; neither have any idea what they would do were they to achieve their hearts desire.

On another note, Ed Milliblands recent 'one nation' conference speech is becoming a lot clearer. He cannot realistically do more than pay lip service to this idea else it would mean the loss of a significant number of westminster labour MP's at a stroke.

WTM

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Brother in law was based at Faslane with the R/N for a few years and I used to work at Glen Douglas helping to build N/Bomb shelters about 50 years ago so that area brings back a few memory's.

If the UK shifted their forces from there I am sure the old yanks would be happy to take over a few of the Bases.

I think it would be difficult as you say.

If the UK decided to keep their forces there I wonder if they would have to pay for doing so.

We will always have the Tartan Army or the salvation Army to help us out.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

If Scotland did have full Independence would the English exchequer stop payments to ex-pats ( English, Welsh and Northern Irish ) in terms of Old age pension, DLA, heating allowance. As they will be Scottish citizens, will the Scottish taxpayer fund these as it might be, Scotland may not be able to meet the criteria of joining the EU and not compliant with those laws.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As a Scot living in many countries including England I am afraid that I will not be allowed to vote under the current proposals. Personally I think that the powers that be might have made a bad mistake with that arrangement as most of the ex patriot crowd I frequent and know would gladly vote for a separate nation.

Some things are serious and some are actually quite alarming like the Navy Head who has been quoted as saying that it doesn't matter what the Scots say, Faslane will remain an English Nuclear Base. With ideas like that then we are indeed heading for potential trouble.

Again a personal view but I don't think that the Scots will win the vote at the end of the day at least this time around as I don't think the question will ever go away.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" I don't really understand how they will be better off. "

And that is what most people just don't understand.

It is not just about being better off, but better.

Most of the countries which have won independence from the UK would hardly be regarded as better off, but I'll wager that most of their inhabitants would say it is better.

No-one is suggesting it would be easy, but, as I have said before, there are those who think that it is better to stand on your feet with an aching back and calloused hands, than to sit at another's table in relative comfort eating whatever you are given.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'