We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A quote from the General Register Office for Scotland

"Examples of the results: nearly twice as many Scots-born lived in England as English-born in Scotland; difference even more marked for those aged 45 and over; nearly twice as many Northern Ireland-born people lived in Scotland as Scots-born in Northern Ireland; difference most marked for those aged 16-24; more English-born people moved to Scotland in the year before the Census than Scots-born moved to England; more English-born people moved back to England in the year before the Census than Scots-born came back to Scotland."

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also see:

Scots in England

About 800000 Scots born in Scotland living in England.....

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I was actually surprised about how many English folk were actually moving to Scotland.

I suppose the cheaper house prices may help or maybe they just want to go somewhere where there are no Hosepipe bans.

Maybe even moved there to get free University education for their kids and who could blame them.

I am sure it will even itself out eventually.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

It can't be that bad if you have 45.000 English men and women moving up there every year.

That figure includes several relations of mine in two family units.

Both families have settled in and show no signs of wanting to return. The downside is that they do not contribute significantly to the Scottish economy having retired prior to moving north.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My pal Macscouse moved up there yonks ago and shows no sign of returning to dear old Liverpool (Left myself open to a quick quip by Brumas there haven't I?) But maybe it's because his lovely Scottish Lady the famous LHO will not allow him to move back here.

I am surprised at the amount of English people moving to Scotland too, but as mentioned maybe it is because of the University situation?

My then daughter-in-law moved up to Edinburgh to put an end to the chance of my son getting access to his daughter. I wonder if the laws in Scotland have anything to do with it?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I moved here because I was sent here in 1957.

I found I liked it, and they seemed to like me (even as a H&S Officer!) and settled.

No regrets (except maybe Rabbie, but even he is preferable to Shakespeare!).

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I am surprised at the amount of English people moving to Scotland too, but as mentioned maybe it is because of the University situation?

I think it's a lot to do with property prices.

If you retire with a fairly meagre pension, but have a lot of capital tied up in a house, you can release some by moving to an area with cheaper housing.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Just wondering if they did get independence and the BBC lost all revenue from north of the border, whether indeed that would make everyone licence free in Scotland.

Now that would be a vote catcher maybe. Free that sounds good.

Just a thought would the BBC still be able to survive without that revenue or would they just spread the Prise on to the customers that they do have.

Now we all know that it will probably never happen,But what if it did.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Perhaps the most influential argument against independence will be that Sky is not able to show some of the soaps "abroad" because of copyright problems!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Who would suffer most if a trade war was the result?

Say for instance, you kept all the Scotch to yourselves and England withdrew all the Mars bars from the Scottish export market in retaliation...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks