We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"As to "propaganda statements", do you mean you doubt the truth of these statements?"

Propaganda is defined as:-

"Information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicise a particular political cause or point of view."

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member "..he's run away in the face of drinks' industry lawyers."

What else could Salmond do? It's hardly "running away", surely, to wait for justice to take it's course, or are you possibly advocating he ignores the legal challenges by big business?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"As far as I know if Scotland did join the EU they would also have to accept the Monetary system that goes with it."

But you don't know.

That's the point.

Nobody does because the question, like so many others, has not been answered.

Opinions have been given, and many of them, but no definitive answer to this, or many other, questions has yet been forthcoming.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Perhaps, during the two years of 'campaigning' there may be some definitive answers to a lot of questions.

That's one reason I said I thought the next two years could be interesting, although fourm member, surprisingly(!), disagreed. Without the chance to ask questions and get answers, the referendum would be a nonsense.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spider9 - the 'bulk' of votes in Scotland will come from the Glasgow population involving about 1 million people...though not all of voting age.

As a citizen of Glasgow [for the past 57 years] I know that the tidal-wave [Tsunami...yes I managed to get that word at Scrabble...but that's a different story], for independence for Scotland is definitely on the cards.

7/4 looks good.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Aitchbee's comment about Glasgow is interesting, as I live in a rural coastal area, and I don't think I've seen a great deal of change from the generally quoted figure of 70% against, and I would think, from his general comments, and dredging out his personal views, that fourm member is the same.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Latest I could find about the population of Glasgow.

http://www.scotland.org/facts/population/

I believe Glasgow and surrounding districts population comes to about 1.600.000 so a big percentage of the population coming from that area.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think I have to agree with Aitchbee when push comes to shove I think that they will vote for Independence.

It maybe their one and only chance to do it so I think the majority will go for it.

I think 7/4 a fairly good bet if you are that way inclined I think the price will come down a fair bit before the election.

My own thinking the price will drop to between 2/7 to 1/5 on just before the election.

We only have to wait for 2 years to find out how right or wrong I am.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

"I think the majority will go for it."

For that to happen an awful lot of them will need to change their minds, because if people vote as they've said they will in recent opinion polls the majority will not go for it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well the SNP conference is under way I believe as we speak so it will be interesting what the outcome will be.

Maybe a poll next week might show a different result.The next couple of years may level the polls a bit but when it comes to the actual vote I think they may well go for it.

Never mind what the polls say just now watch what the bookmakers say.They don't go out of there way to loose money.

The no vote has it at the moment after the party conference this week the odds may just come down a bit.

So it will be interesting to see what the final outcome is.

And anyone wanting to follow my predictions I have to tell you that I don't think I have ever won anything at the Bookies.

Well at least lost a lot more than I have won.Had the odd grand national winner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK