We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Agree about not visiting the matters during the lead up to the referendum but immediately after.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

fourm member

A polite correction. The Queen's visit to Zambia was in July 1979.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I'm wondering if this is a ploy to lose the Labour Parties 40+ MP's that they have in Scotland. As currently the Conservative government would only lose one it would surely make life easier for them in any future General Election. I believe that the Lib-Dems wouldn't come out of it smiling either. Probably I'm just being a bit cynical about it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"True, morddwyd said 'most' "

Untrue!

I said some, and specifically excluded "most"!

As to demonstrating it it (some) , well, there's Aitchbee and my wife for a start!

"no Scottish MP's (or Welsh or NI) able to vote on English matters."

Like them or not, no SNP MP has ever voted, or will ever vore, on a purely English matter.

It's almost part of their constitution.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morrdywd ... I'm innocent! I never said a thing.What's your missus been saying about me? All good I hope ;o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

You've gotten me into a tizzy, morddwyd.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

Answers to a few of the questions posed here can be found at

Answering your questions about an independent Scotland

If anyone has a question not covered, there is an "ask us" section at the bottom of the page.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Ah! Sorry, wrong "most"!

"(note to fm - I didn't say all, or even most!)."

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As far as I know if Scotland did join the EU they would also have to accept the Monetary system that goes with it.

That would be a no Vote from the people of Scotland.I believe Alex Salmond would like them join the EU but the public would be against it.

Now I don't think that will interfere with the voting for independence, that would come after the vote on another referendum.

There are Countries out there that are not part of the Euro bandwagon and are surviving Ok without it.

Why would any Country want to be tied down with some of the bizarre rules and regulations that come with the package.

I know that they say it creates jobs in the UK but if your goods are good enough and at the right price countries would still buy them whether in the EU or not.

Anyhow that's the way I see it no doubt others will disagree.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

fourm member

I said "Answers to a few of the questions posed here".

As to "propaganda statements", do you mean you doubt the truth of these statements? If you do then I suggest you contact them via the "ask us" section and ask where they sourced their facts from.

I am sure they will happily tell you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do