We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Yes spider9 I realise that the UK made a final settlement to the US for their financial support during the two previous world wars, however the UK as a whole will have taken on extra debt to pay for this and Scotland should obviously pay there share of this ongoing borrowing commitment!

Still the foreign land owners who own half of Scotland already should be able to buy even more Scottish property cheaply if independence is won, as land prices will inevitably drop as a result of insufficient GDP to service this and other debts that will very quickly be incurred!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

..and, of course, the counter argument might be along the lines of " ever since Thatcher set about the destruction of Scottish industry it is obvious why those figures are as they are".

Or would the claim be that the Scots actually PREFER to be on 'benefits' rather than working (like the striving English??).

Possibly Scots might just start to feel they couldn't be any worse off if they were making all their own decisions.

Bare figures such as those can never tell the whole story - but, as you say, these things will be used to sway people.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Population of Scotland 5.254.800

Population of London 8.174.100

Population of England and Wales 56.000.000

Just thought that I would post that for the only reason to show how little population there is in Scotland.

Although it is shorter in land area it is not by that much.

About 45.000 left England and Wales to live in Scotland last year and about the same amount left Scotland to go elsewhere.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In the end, people will do what people have always done. They will make voting decisions based on a highly complex mixture of judgement and emotion.

The telling point is most probably the fact that opinion polls have consistently returned a 'yes' figure of around 30%. In the run up to the referendum that is undoubtedly going to change, but it will have to improve by an unprecedented amount in order to win the day.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

I certainly agree with your remark about ".. mixture of judgement and emotion".

Which is why I think that those who consistently attempt to 'put the Scots down' with implications of things like being broke without their ultra generous English neighbours, or asylum seekers flooding in, etc, will simply have the effect of making more Scots want to go it alone.

Woolwell wants to start tearing up the present agreements, even if there is a NO vote! Is the object to frighten the Scots to break free? Perhaps it's we English who have the problem, and are jealous of the possible opportunity they are getting?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Perhaps it's we English who have the problem,"

I'm not sure about that - at least as a generalisation. I'm sure there are plenty of English people who have a problem when it comes to contemplating Scottish issues of any kind, but lots of Scots feel the same way about England.

I'm 50% Welsh, and I meet with an adverse reaction sometimes when I talk about that. When I go to Wales to visit a brother who lives there I meet some Welsh people who can't talk about the English without getting angry.

In Northern island there are people who seem to be more fervently British than Irish.

It all harks back to historical differences, and the formation of a United kingdom that has always been subject to an undercurrent of old scores and differences. The unification of a group of small, previously independent sovereign nations is always going to be fraught with difficulties - old loyalties and grudges are there, under the surface.

I wish the Scots well, whatever their decision. I think that Scotland and the Scots have contributed enormously to British prosperity and culture down the centuries, and I very much hope they'll stay in the Union. It's going to be their decision however, and that's as it should be.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

El Presidente, Mr Salmond, has a secret weapon to ensure victory. He is going to give each of us living in Scotland our own personal wind turbine. He is well on his way to building them, but is having them built in another country, thereby keeping the Scottish workforce unemployed. There are windfarms everywhere in the north of Scotland, except, interestingly, around the area where El Presidente resides. I love living in Scotland, but the windfarms are becoming too numerous, and are turning the tourists away from the area.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bing.alau, here are the latest betting odds:-

Will Scotland Vote For Independence in 2014?

No ...2/5

Yes ...7/4

Will Scotland Achieve Complete Independence from the UK by 1st January 2020?

No ...1/16

Yes ....13/2

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

spider9 - This is an opportunity to visit the Barnett formula and West Lothian questions. Neither seem to be fair to the English. What is wrong with examining whether the current status is fair?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I was simply saying that matters such as these being regurgitated during a referendum is not entirely helpful. These are issues which will need looking at eventually, I agree, but hardly during a campaign.

Unless, of course, the PM is willing to tell Scots exact details of what is going to happen to the Barnett cash BEFORE they vote, so they will know the impending plans and their implications - somehow I don't think it will happen that way!
But keeping these thoughts on Scot's minds can only help the SNP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger