We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

My ex is Scottish... if they vote for independence, can I have her deported?

Seriously, apart from possibly north sea fuels, or what's left of them, I don't really understand how they will be better off. I wonder how much of the Scots are still concerned about independence on patriotic grounds, quite a few I'd guess, but I'd be surprised if there was a majority? I would imagine many would believe their interests would be better served by an indigenous government, and maybe they would at that?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The older ones are probably quite happy the way things are running just now.But the introduction of 16yr and 17yr's old might just swing it.

If what I heard on the news is correct I can see why David Cameron is pushing for it.

Off course I do not have the date of the next general election but it must be near the time of the referendum.

With no Scottish MP's allowed to take part in the UK elections or sit in the House of Commons there will be no way that labour could win the next General election.

We asked why David Cameron was pushing for referendum when he announced it earlier this year or last year, is this his his way of staying in power for another term.

A win win situation for him I think.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

The result of the vote, as with any referendum, will depend on the question that is asked. If the referendum (which is said to be based on a single yes / no question) asks 'do you want England to have any administrative control over Scotland?', it will get a very different result to asking 'Do you want England to continue to exchequer payments to Scotland, in exchange for some administrative control?' The one question that can't - and won't - be asked is 'Do you want Scotland to be an independent nation?'

In one form or another, I can see Scotland's current parliament being given more autonomy, but then even without a referendum, that is happening anyway.

This seems more about Salmond promoting himself than a true and practical desire of the Scottish people, for an independent Scotland.

Like this post  
oresome

Likes # 0

Never mind how the Scots vote, the decision one way or another impacts on the English, yet we have no say.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I'm with oresomeon this issue. As affected parties surely the rest of the U.K. should have a say in this, or would that put the devolution beyond doubt???

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The older ones are probably quite happy the way things are running just now.But the introduction of 16yr and 17yr's old might just swing it.

So that means that the 14 year olds [of today] could swing it in 2 years time?

Salmond must be relying/betting on this newly 'mustered/negotiated' teen vote to bolster the AYE votes.

I'll be voting YES. [for independence].

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

AITCHBEE

16 and 17 year olds will only make up a very small percentage of the voters (even if they can all be persuaded to vote!), so that 'red herring' is unlikely to make any real difference to the outcome.

Jock1e "I can see why David Cameron is pushing for it."

I thought it was the SNP who wanted the 16/17's given the franchise, not the PM??

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 1

On a bit of a tangent. There was an interesting comment in today's i newspaper by Oliver Wright.

Under plans for a new post-independence Scottish public service broadcaster. Scotland could hive off the £325M BBC licence fee but the BBC would then have no choice but to turn off the signal for Scotland. It would probably then be on a pay per view basis. TV catchup and iplayer would not work as Scotland would be outside of the UK.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

I'm sure that neither the Scots nor the BBC would behave like that.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

oresome

Free parking at hospitals free prescriptions free universities free bridge tolls etc,

[yet we have no say.] You have a say for all of those things but you just tend to ignore it hoping that someday you may get the same.

United Kingdom I cant see where it is united when some parts of the country are better off than others.

It is just little things like that which may make them vote for independence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK