We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MPs calling for a Renegotion of EU Treaty.

proudfoot

Likes # 0

A number of MPs are calling for a renegotiation of the UKs terms of membership of the EU.

Have you any views as to what the terms should be?

I for one never voted, when asked in Edward Heaths Referendum, to join a political union as it has now become. I like many others voted to join a free trading area.

My feelings are we should repeal all the legislation that has been imposed on us by Europe that is not in our national interest and return to the previous legislation passed by Westminster.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Let's just wait until Cameron gives us the promised in/out referendum. Then we can kiss goodbye to the whole sorry edifice, I personally cannot wait to see the end of the failed European experiment.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Cameron has not said he will give us an IN/OUT referendum. He wants to renegotiate our terms.

The referendum should ask "Do you want to leave the EU if they will not let us be a member on our terms."

They realise it would be their loss if we left.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I am in favour of a common trading union not a political union.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

romanby1

Cameron has not said he will give us an IN/OUT referendum. He wants to renegotiate our terms.

That's his stated position at the moment, however I believe that will change. The EU will never let us stay on our terms, and so we will choose to leave. I fervently hope and believe this will be so!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Flak999

IMHO you are living in 'cloud-cuckoo-land' if you expect Cameron to allow us a vote on the matter! His promises mean absolutely nothing!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

What's happening to these posts today? I recently posted on the thread "Working Hard" hit the key/button and nothing happened.

An hour later I type out a post for this thread "MP's calling for....etc." and up pops the first post on the thread "Working Hard"...

Maybe if I type out another post on another thread the previous one will appear. Who knows?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

romanby1 ""Do you want to leave the EU if they will not let us be a member on our terms.""

Is it not obvious that ANY organisation, not just the EU, would never let a member dictate their own terms, in that manner, to be in someone elses club?

That wouldn't be accepted as a referendum question under any circumstances.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"Let's just wait until Cameron gives us the promised in/out referendum."

Imagination working overtime again I see. Please give me a link to a report that David Cameron made that promise.

What he actually said last week was that "a review of the balance of powers between the UK and the EU would be likely to lead to a referendum on Britain's relationship with the EU after the next election."

Not a single promise in sight there - just a vague waffle about a review being likely lead to a referendum on our relationship. There may well be a renegotiation based around better safeguards for our sovereignty, and if that fails we might see a future referendum on the subject of withdrawal. There are plenty of people in Europe who be very glad to see the back of us if we withdrew - we're viewed by many as a pain in the Union's neck.

You would feel confident about our ability to survive and prosper as an independent trading nation outside the EU would you? I'm hoping you can come up with something better by way of a response than the old 'we couldn't do worse' knee-jerk answer.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

There was no vote at the time Heath took us into the Common Market. There was a subsequent referendum in 1975, in which there was a 2:1 majority for remaining in the EEC. In my view, it is in the interest og the UK to remain in the EU. We should engage more positively and help formulate legislation and policy which is in the interest of all members.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

Forum Editor

Imagination working overtime again I see. Please give me a link to a report that David Cameron made that promise.

See my reply to romanby1 @ 3.24pm

I am supremely confident of this countries ability to survive and prosper outside of the EU. Switzerland manages quite nicely being outside the EU but still trading with it and so could we. As for the arguments about leaving, see these links:

Cost as opposed to benefits of EU membership

The EU is bad for Britain

How much Britain pays for EU membership

Look at the graphs in this link:

any possible argument for remaining in the EU has been blown away

As I have said, I fervently hope we can get out! The sooner the better.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'