We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Schnorkel Anybody?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

The water is fifty yards from the front door and it's still raining!

Never been that close before, and autumn's barely started, let alone winter!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The title should have read "Schnörkel"!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Why would you want to flourish (Schnörkel)? Perhaps you meant Schnorchel!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd, I suggest you put on a pair of Plimsolls, like wot King Canute might have done,go down to the water's edge, stretch out your arms [with pointed fingers] and order the water to RECEDE FORTHWITH! It's worth a try. (put a paper hat/crown on first.)

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I don't suppose for one minute that it is a laughing matter for you so I do hope that you have taken all the precautions you can and probably more importantly all the precautions that your Insurance Company may expect you to take.

I have noticed that many of your posts in recent weeks have been a bit difficult to understand so do you have a problem with making new posts?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The title should have read "Schnörkel"!"

Unfortunately the title field doesn't like the ö

I've done my best, and deleted all the posts that referred to the original jumble of letters and symbols.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thank you!

The water is now receding, but I have a damp patch on the bedroom ceiling, and a look outside with binoculars reveals some misplaced tiles, so now to find the insurance company's, and my policy, numbers!

Being attacked from above and below!

Actually any minor problems I have pale into insignificance compared with most.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It's a common misconception that repairs resulting from defects caused by gradual wear and tear will automatically be covered by a home insurance policy. That's not always the case.

Many people are finding that claims for the cost of repairing damage caused by missing or broken roof tiles or slates are being rejected by insurers. There's an obligation on the part of householders to take reasonable steps to ensure their property is maintained.

The important word tends to be the 'gradual' part of 'gradual wear and tear'. A high wind that dislodges tiles isn't 'gradual', for instance.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE said:-

It's a common misconception that repairs resulting from defects caused by gradual wear and tear will automatically be covered by a home insurance policy. That's not always the case.

TOO TRUE: My insurance policy did not cover the repair costs of a 'defective' underground drain duct, a few months ago, as it was put down to 'gradual wear & tear'.

Only 'accidental' damage [to the drain duct] was covered by the insurance policy.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I have now contacted my insurance company.

The earliest they can get somebody to come and look at the problem (not fix it, just assess it) is the 23rd.

Now given that my problem is minor compared to some people, I still have a hole in the roof through which water is coming.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a response in less than ten days?

On the FE's point, examination of the roof, admittedly through binoculars, shows the displaced tiles with clean, undamaged, brightly coloured, unweathered areas around the edges, where they have been displaced by the storm we had on Friday.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)