We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Baby Boomers" Alcohol Problem

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Acoording to the BBC there is a "baby boomers" alcohol problem, covering those aged between 55 and 74.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19913431

Now I am 74, born in '38 and I've never been classed as a baby boomer before (at risk from drink, yes!).

I thought this term referred to the generation conceived when vast numbers came home from war and started, or continued, their families, maybe ten years or so younger.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Looking at the comparison between the 2 groups, there is only an 8 year 'age-range' in one group against a 19 year 'age-range' in the other.

Is it not reasonable for the latter group to have the much larger number ... or am I missing something?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

After virtually 2 years of abstinence I am going to make up for it a tad over the next 12 months. Born 1945 and still going strong and long may it continue. I guess my dad celebrated a little early. I've been tagged a "baby boomer and a war baby" but who cares. Age is a relative thing and I still feel 30'sh....

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Not surprising when you think about it. The silver slurpers have had 50+ years of drinking accumulating damage.

My drinking is probaly fairly typical - started slow, worked up rapidly in my late teens and twenties then slowed down to about 6 pints a week until my 60's then had a row with my local landlord over the quality (lack of) of his beer so then I gave up, just have the occasional pint when out visiting.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

The thing is, if "we" are having more than is good for us we tend to spread it out over a period of time not have it all in a couple of hours on a Friday and/or Saturday night like the modern youngsters do, with the accompanying substantial extra cost of policing their drunken antics every week.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Guilty as charged

I'm out with the lads every six weeks or so and stagger (or have to be carried home).

Hardly have a drop between times, perhaps need to build up the stamina?

;0)

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Every week we have a different scare story about something, have these people ever thought maybe people are living longer so more things show up in our old age.

100 Years ago you would have been lucky to see 60 never mind 80, 200 years ago the average age to live to was about 40

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Every week we have a different scare story about something, have these people ever thought maybe people are living longer so more things show up in our old age.

100 Years ago you would have been lucky to see 60 never mind 80, 200 years ago the average age to live to was about 40

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's not about a scare story, but about what, or who, is a baby boomer.

I always thought it was somebody born just after the war, say 1945 - 1948.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I must be a betwixt war baby. My drinking habits are well established now of course. I tend to have a wee drop of rum (probably a pub's double measure) about three or four nights a week. Then on Thursday afternoon I have a single rum while I am out line-dancing. But on special occasions such as a re-union with a gang of oldies I can out drink most of them. probably the result of a lot of training in the art both in the services and as a pub manager. Us oldies know how to go about it of course. Never drink on an empty stomach. Never mix your drinks. Take your time and enjoy it. Stop when your body tells you too and not when your friends think you should. There are lots of other rules of engagement of course. My big idea is that rum does not leave you with a hang-over. (Unless you really overdo it).

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"rum does not leave you with a hang-over."

Unless you mix brands!

(Learned the hard way during two months temporary duty in Kingston (Jamaica not Surrey). It was hell but somebody had to do it!)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room