We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"Baby Boomers" Alcohol Problem

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Acoording to the BBC there is a "baby boomers" alcohol problem, covering those aged between 55 and 74.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19913431

Now I am 74, born in '38 and I've never been classed as a baby boomer before (at risk from drink, yes!).

I thought this term referred to the generation conceived when vast numbers came home from war and started, or continued, their families, maybe ten years or so younger.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"rum does not leave you with a hang-over."

If you drink enough it certainly will. Some people tend to stand less chance of getting hangovers, and nobody really knows why - it's just one of those things.

If you want to stand a better chance of avoiding hangovers, avoid dark-coloured drinks. They contained substances called cogeners, and it's the cogeners that give you the hangover symptoms. Drink white rum, vodka or gin and you're less likely to suffer next day.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...I've not had a major hang-over since 1974 ... but furry tongue mornings ... yes ...too numerous to mention!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Drink white rum, vodka or gin "

Exactly the advice given to me by my GP forty odd years ago, though he wouldn't give me a prescription, the damned charlatan!

I developed an allergy to beer (honest!) and half a pint would put me in bed for two days, and white spirits were the genuine medical suggestion.

I later found, by experiment, for I do love the stuff, that it is only keg beer, and some bottles, that affect me this way, and I am aright with anything from the wood.

I still get a hangover, but only when I deserve it!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks