We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now that we don't have an impending Olympic games to argue about...

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Along comes another potentially contentious subject

Or perhaps I'm wrong, and everyone will wholeheartedly endorse the idea.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that there should be no celebration, although there is a possibility of some kind of jamboree on 11/11/2018.

However, I can see no reason why, throughout the 4 years period, we are not reminded of the gravity of what was happening. There could even be space for 'fond' reminders.

I heard it noted, on Radio 4, that most current interest focuses on the Land & Air fighting across Europe, forgetting that there were equally vicious engagements in other parts of the World and also at Sea, perhaps without the huge numbers of casualties but, for the final outcome, equally important.

Finally, I am not certain that the oft used quotation "Lions led by Donkeys" is quite fair on the hierarchy, in command at the time. They were fighting with the Forces that they had available, as were their Enemies. Much of the knowledge available toward the end of the period was either not available, or unproven, at the beginning.

It is easy to criticise, after the event, but they succeeded, albeit with vast numbers of casualties. What if they had tried other methods/strategies and failed?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'Lions lead by Donkeys', there is a very good book that examines that statement, 1915 : The Death of Innocence

In the context of the day it wasn't so true, in the context of today, it's very true. And with it being a phrase of German propaganda in it's day, read it yourself and make your own mind up.

It's quite an insight to the thinking of the pompous French generals and the bickering British generals of that time.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I always thought that particular phrase concerned the British.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Yes, some Hun general used it to describe the Allies that kept on sending more men over the top regardless to an expected failure.

I can't just remember his name, I read the book a couple of years ago from the local library, when we had one...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Used in a conversation between Ludendorff & Hoffmann, but apparently the origin of the phrase goes back to the Crimea.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I have always thought of the phrase "Lions lead by Donkeys" when I have watched the occasional appearance of an officer type in "Dad's Army". No not "Napoleon Mainwaring" but a tallish skinny individual who always laughs as if he is braying like a donkey. I know it wasn't the same war, but there were obviously the same type of officers around in WW2. I'm glad I joined up after the war and have to admit I met both good and bad types of officer during my 23 years service. But hey, the bad ones were avoidable. Since then they have gradually disappeared, thank God.

My point in this posting is watch "Dad's Army" every Saturday evening.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Condom - great being a misnomer. Not really it depends on which definition of great. It certainly wasn't grand.

The last episode of Blackadder was very moving.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more