We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Now that we don't have an impending Olympic games to argue about...

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Along comes another potentially contentious subject

Or perhaps I'm wrong, and everyone will wholeheartedly endorse the idea.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I think 'potentialy contentious' might be a bit of an understatment given some of the other headlines lately

Child benefit cuts: Millions of letters to be sent 'soon'

Eight Shelter offices across England could close

Tory conference: George Osborne in £10bn benefit cut vow

Or, and perhaps I'm being cynical here, someone is bowing to the inevitablity of unemployment and is trying to curry favour in certain quarters.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Seems a little strange - celebrating the start of a war.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Would have thught they wouild wait ubtil 2018 and celebrate the end

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" celebrating the start of a war."

It's a commemoration, not a celebration.

There is a difference.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The cynic in me says this is just the PM trying to get some votes on a subject that he thinks will unite the population as a whole. I would agree that the end of the war should be the right moment rather than the beginning but again that might be a bit too late for his needs.

There is not much of the battlefields left these days and children would most likely be taken to the graveyards which would not be my idea of an event for children. Perhaps sitting them down and showing them excerpts from some vivid movies would give them all the reality needed.

It was a bloody war fought with outdated tactics and with no thought to the loss of life by those in charge. In my mind not really much to celebrate there apart from its ending.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Condom have to agree with you

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

"In my mind not really much to celebrate there apart from its ending."

Who mentioned a celebration?

The proposal is for a commemoration, there's a big difference. Just short of a million people from the UK lost their lives in the war, and if you add those from British dominions overseas the figure rises to about 1.2 million.

The idea of a commemoration is to reinforce the nation's awareness of that appalling loss of life, and hopefully to instil a sense of the consequences of a world war into a generation that is far too young to have had any direct knowledge of what happened.

A nation needs a sense of its past, just as much as a vision of its future.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Look at the war memorial in the smallest town or village and it gives some idea of the scale of deaths that occurred. Mostly young men barely out of school.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Without wanting to bring politics into this subject, the BBC report states that these centenary commemorations will 'not be unhelpful' in keeping the Union together, just when the Scots will be making their minds up on Independence matters.

I am not so sure about that.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I take on what other people have said but for me what should be remembered about this dreadful war was the ending. Not so much that the end was successful in itself but that the allied powers failed to win the peace which followed.

To often victorious powers have failed to plan for what happens after a war and we still see this today and the "phrase lessons will be learned" actually never happens. What happened at the end of WW1 was a major cause of the rise of the Nazi party and the drift into WW11.

To my mind every village, town and city across the UK already has memorials to the Great War, a misnomer if there ever was one, and I think that is a fitting enough memory to all those who lost their lives.

No doubt others will think differently and so be it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger