We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is it now guilty until proven innocent?

Sapins

Likes # 0

Reading about the allegations re Jimmy Saville and now Lance Armstrong I always thought it was the other way round but a lot of people seem only too ready to condemn people before any firm evidence shows them to be guilty! Then again the media lead the outcry and too many people are willing to take their word as gospel.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that, if it is decided to remove Lance Armstrong's TdF Winner's Medal, then any future recipient should be made to prove that he was drug free before it is re-awarded.

I don't believe that LA was any different to those with whom he competed.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As to JS, I had originally assumed that just a few young Groupies were involved. There are now so many claims that there is a strong likelihood that some of the claims are true.

However, I was listening to a Gentleman on Radio 4, this afternoon, and I got a strong impression that he, the Interviewee, was jumping onto the bandwagon, in order to milk it for all it was worth.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There are now so many claims that there is a strong likelihood that some of the claims are true."

I think we can safely put it a little more strongly than that - it's becoming increasingly evident that this man abused dozens, if not hundreds of young girls and women over the years. One or two complaints might be considered as suspicious, but the Police are now investigating over 130, and doubtless there will be further revelations.

There can be no trial as far as Savile is concerned, but that doesn't mean the wealth of verbal evidence against him is valueless - it must be obvious to anyone that he was a serial abuser of young girls, and possibly of boys, too.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The mass media has always had a tendency to do this and if you chose to take their view then you may sometimes be misled. What I have always found more concerning is that the person charged in the UK has to stand in a dock often surrounded by large policemen or court officials and the jury is looking at this person up there in full view. Not what I would say ideal as a sign of innocence.

Some systems have the person charged sitting with their lawyers beside them and I tend to think this looks a fairer system.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The mass media has always had a tendency to do this and if you chose to take their view then you may sometimes be misled. What I have always found more concerning is that the person charged in the UK has to stand in a dock often surrounded by large policemen or court officials and the jury is looking at this person up there in full view. Not what I would say ideal as a sign of innocence.

Some systems have the person charged sitting with their lawyers beside them and I tend to think this looks a fairer system.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"...and possibly of boys, too."

That's a curious thing to say.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

no mention of boys in anything I've heard or read.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Well a storey always sounds better if you include a person of the same sex, gives it that "pervert" angle and JS can't defend himself.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I don't think there'd have been much difference if he'd been alive, except that every comment would have had to be preceded by "alleges", until court proceedings were concluded.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

One interview I saw was a former police detective inspector who said he'd had a complaint about the man, but was not believed by his superiors, at the time.

But surely there would have been a record made of that particular complaint, somewhere?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'