We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:


PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner


It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion


 

Teenager electrocuted by PC psu


WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I came across this and thought I would pass it on.

Teenager killed

It's made me pause for thought, and I hope it does you too. Although somewhat lacking in details, I suspect he was tinkering inside the psu itself.

Certainly I've never heard of anything like it, but no doubt someone else has.

WTM

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Very sad, as you said he had probably opened up the PSU itself.

But a good reminder to the rest of us.

I once got a nasty shock from a damaged digital camera, into which I was poking my inquisitive fingers, apparently the flash components hold their charge too, even though no batteries were connected.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Used to work on kit which had to be left for 15 minutes after switch off before it was safe to work on.

On the one occasion when I went in a bit early I got a very nasty belt.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I've just refreshed and seen the additional details fourm member referred to. I was up at stupid oclock this morning and had a quick browse before setting off to work, leaving the page open with the intent of posting it this evening.

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

With the plethora of home-made electrical DIY videos [mostly American] that are uploaded to the internet for 'consumption' by anybody with a decent BB connection ...there's bound to be many more deaths like this one, sadly.

One video I watched recently was on 'How To Repair A Laptop Battery'.

If all of the precautions & warnings were adhered to then it was a relatively safe thing to do ... but I fear many would 'cut-corners' and end up injuring themselves, needlessly.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Darwinism in action

there are warning labels on every PSU I've ever worked with.

Further investigation revealed that the teen was working on a family computer, which was unplugged at the time, police said.

So at least a little common sense.

Parental supervision?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Computer PSUs contain electrolytic capacitors,and these are quite capable of giving you a nasty jolt after the mains power supply has been turned off.

It sounds to me as though that is what happened in the case in question. As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, every PSU has a clear warning label on the case.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

"Parental supervision?"

Of a teenager?

That sound you hear is the laughter of millions of parents of teenagers!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Brings back memories of me as an 8 year old playing with my electric train set. One day I decided to play with it in the "good room" which only had 15 amp plug sockets so clever me decided to change the plug from the 5 amp to the big 15 amp one. Not knowing a thing about electrics I just wired 3 wires in any order and plugged in to find myself flying backwards across the room and hitting the opposite wall and ending up with that kicked in the nether regions feeling for about 2 days afterwards. Lesson learned and from that day everything I owned had the plugs wired up perfectly. As a teenager I even helped my father rewire the house to the new 13 amp standard plugs although you probably are not allowed to do that yourself these days. Today of course most things come complete with plug which may be just as well.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

morddwyd

thought that might raise a smile.

"Teenager covers a lot of years" and he probably knew more about computers than his parents, although probably not enough in this case.

My teenagers were always supervised when carrying out potentially dangerous activities like "sticking their fingers in electrical equipment", but I'm sure they managed to do others without supervision. Luckily I did teach them a modicum of common sense, enough to read and take note of warning labels at least.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I had similar to Condom except I was in my 20's. Unplugged a tablelamp, doublechecked was unplugged and proceeded to change the part that bulb goes in. I had unplugged the light on the dressing unit instead of the tablelamp, both leads to mains went behind a wardrobe. Threw me a good 8 feet, I landed on bed on other side of room, I didn't stop shaking for 2 days.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.



IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014