We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will You be using your Heating this winter

woodchip

Likes # 0

If so take a look hear, this may be the first of many

Click Hear

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Yep, I certainly will, in fact I have started already by turning on one of my over-night heaters and have started using my electric blanket again. I do feel the cold a lot and I hate it.

Of course it is no surprise that all the major providers will be increasing their profits, not a lot we can do about it, and they know that! People may say 'Switch', but what's the point when they will all be increasing the prices as usual.

Anyway, I had a recent windfall on UK lottery, so I will be fine, at least for this winter - will probably have spent it all by the following winter.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Woolly Jumpers are coming back into fashion!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Of course I shall be.

However I shall be reducing my background temperature from it's current setting of 16/17' to about 15'C and wearing sensible clothing around the house.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

That's not up to me, it's up to my thermostat!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I've had my heating on for a couple of weeks now. It comes on for a couple of hours in the mornings and a couple of hours at night. Providing the winter does not get really bad that should be enough for the rest of the time too.

I have had my house winterised with the double glazing and loft insulation and wall insulation and that does help a lot.

Sometimes I think back to the days when we had to get up in the mornings and light the one fire in the house with newspaper and sticks and coal. It took ages to get that one room warm. Then at night we had old army greatcoats over our beds and hot water bottles in them, until we got really modern and bought electric blankets. All together now "Those were the days, my friend. I thought they'd never end etc...".

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

**"Those were the days, my friend. I thought they'd never end etc...". Like this post**

I'm glad they did though! I certainly remember, especially in the air raid shelter in the back garden!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, dunno where, Like this post** came from.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Already had notice of a 9% rise in gas price and 12% in electricity starting from the 15th.

Hoping the energy efficient new boiler offsets the increase.

I have full double glazing, 18" loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. Other than emigrate to warmer climes I'm not sure what else I can do?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm thanking my lucky stars that my wife kept on at me to sign up for a dual fuel scheme which guarantees us no rise in prices before March 2014. We signed with EDF last September.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

"Other than emigrate to warmer climes I'm not sure what else I can do?"

You could insulate your ground floor suspended timber floors if you have any.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED