We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone explain how ...

Nontek
Resolved

Likes # 0

a Painting of a rough black frame on a plain colored background can be worth £Millions?

I am sure most of us could create a similar 'picture'!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

May as well put a canvas in the road and let a car run over it. it would look more interesting

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I agree - but just who is it that says such a blob is a great work of art and worth millions?? Beats me!

Of course the 'artist' has the last laugh.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

forum member

Thanks for your input - but I still don't understand why such a blob can be called art and be worth millions.

I admire the 'artists' thought processes, but not his 'art'!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Some people think they can buy into that 'why' by paying a lot of money to own the painting."

And some people pay the money because they believe that it will make a nice little investment for the future.

It has always been thus in the art world.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I still don't understand why such a blob can be called art and be worth millions."

It's worth nothing unless/until someone is prepared to pay for it.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

fourm member

"Rothko thought he could discover something meaningful about being human by reducing artistic expression to the very minimum.

If that's the case why didn't he produce a blank canvas?

Personally I didn't consider the attack as defacing the canvas. I thought the juxtaposition of the diagonally orientated text alongside the parallel blocks and using the same colour as some of those blocks a statement on the conflict we face as human beings whilst finding similarities within those conflicts.

Easy innit!!!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE

It's worth nothing unless agreed, as the saying goes - more money than sense! Though that is just my opinion.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

csqwared

Personally I didn't consider the attack as defacing the canvas. I thought the juxtaposition of the diagonally orientated text alongside the parallel blocks and using the same colour as some of those blocks a statement on the conflict we face as human beings whilst finding similarities within those conflicts.

You took the word out of my mouth :-)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

hmm - words

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

These arty-farty people try to convince normal people (us) (well me anyway) that they can see things in the pictures that are above and beyond our comprehension. As you say the so called artist is laughing all the way to the bank.

The people who pay huge sums of money to buy a canvas that an elephant has perhaps painted, deserve to lose their money of course. But I can't help thinking of all the worthy causes that could do with that money. any money they have left should be confiscated and given to a worthy charity.

The artist is of course nothing more than a con man/woman. In the cases where an animal does the painting, or there is some other outrageous method of putting paint on canvas, there is a con man/woman behind it.

Myself I prefer to look at children's paintings of matchstick men and houses and their mums and dads etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?