We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Did you see the Northern lights?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Did anyone see the Aurora Borealis last night? Apparently it was visible as far south as Hove in East Sussex. I will be annoyed if I discover that I might have seen it in North London, but was fast asleep at the time.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Only on TV - all the pics of it were taken up-north, didn't see anything down here in Southsea.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Highly unlikely to have been visible around London area due to light pollution, same here in Birmingham.

A few years ago I flew to the Artic circle to see the lights; we had to have all the interior lights off in the plane right from take off in order to get accustomed to the dark. Unfortunately it was a no show, flew around for 2 hours in complete darkness for nothing.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Missed them this last week unfortunately, Norfolk.

I usually have email and text alerts for Aurora, but had them both turned off.

Have a look at AuroraWatch

at Lancs University.

They do the alerts, great free service, only worth getting red alerts for South of the border.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Complete cloud cover and rain last night round my way in East Anglia. No chance of seeing anything :(

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In the distant past (last year?) I seem to remember a clear night. Last night we had the usual low cloud and rain. This year, in my area, our reservoirs are 94.8% last year they were at 52.7%.

Sorry to go off northern lights. I've never managed to see them and have a Bluenose certficate for having crossed the Arctic Circle.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have often seen them in Norway and Denmark in the winter. Olly once, years ago, in Scotland - all whilst on military night exercises.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I went to visit some friend who live in Mill Of Minonie and they took me down to the village of Pennan where much of Local Hero was filmed. As well as the spectacular drive down to the village we were very fortunate to see the Northern Lights which despite not being at their best were still wonderful in that setting.

Currently I am getting my own version of the Northern Lights here in Bangkok as the present thunderstorms are something we never see in the UK. Only thing missing is the colours which I don't really appreciate to the full anyway as I am colour blind.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

Seeing that someone has mentioned reservoirs being nearly full. (I can't believe they are not overflowing), Can we safely say that next spring we will not be getting hosepipe bans.

I have followed cycoze's example and registered for e-mails etc. hopefully to see the Northern Lights before I pop my clogs.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

For those of us who can't afford the bus fares to see them in person, perhaps this is the next best thing.

Aurora Borealis - Þingvellir

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

I should have added, its a live webcam from Iceland, a bit grainy but you do get a taste of what the fuss is all about.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......