We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Coincidence or what

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Two stories from the BBC news today here and here

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The newly planned/proposed ' Austerity Schools ' [ in England ]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-19787570

...will be getting ' Austerity Kitchens '

ie ... NONE!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Roaches are not known to be unsafe to eat"

I'm glad about that!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

blue-bottles ... are an acquired taste ;0]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm said:-

If there is an obligation to provide a hot meal does there really need to be an obligation to provide facilities for preparing and serving the meal?

SO, will hot-meals [for hungry pupils] be delivered to schools where there are no cooking facilities?

or

Will communal microwave cookers be compulsory additions to ' Austerity Classrooms '?

I suspect both 'cheapskate' options are now being considered by GOVE.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - you missed out Ms Bull's preceding remarks:-

"As part of the government's targets for reducing obesity levels and its aim to improve children's health through better diets and lifestyles, school meal providers are expected to prepare nutritious meals from fresh ingredients," she said.

"Not having kitchen and dining facilities clearly specified within the new school premises regulations shows a worrying contradiction in policy."

In Glasgow too, I see many secondary school pupils devouring their 'fast-food' meals (mostly chips/pizza in a roll) during their afternoon breaks...many do this whilst crossing busy roads and more often than not discard the food packaging on the ground.If pupils had proper canteen facilities at school, a lot of the fast-food outlets near where I live, would go out of business...and the health and safety of school children would be all-the-better for it!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In the past, one of my children attended a school that didn't have on-site kitchens. The school meals were delivered read-cooked and kept hot in special heated cabinets at the school.

It wasn't very satisfactory - there were complaints about food not being hot enough, and sometimes not being delivered on time.

Nowadays it would seem to me to be a basic requirement of a school that it has on-site kitchens, and freshly-prepared food. I don't think there's a problem with Microwave-prepared meals. I recently had an eight-day stay in a very large modern hospital where all the meals were microwaved - the food tasted fresh and delicious, and was hot when delivered to the wards.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

fourm member since you attended school in the last century things have altered and not for the best.

Food that is delivered from off site at best of times is eat-able and at worse so bad you wouldn't feed it to a pig.

My daughter has come home complaining of cold food that should be hot and warm food that should be cold and because the food was delivered from an outside caterers at times not enough food was delivered.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

..large modern hospital where all the meals were microwaved - the food tasted fresh and delicious, and was hot when delivered to the wards.

A bit different to my experience recently. The hospital I was in, a large modern hospital, has its food delivered in and as long as you were partial to reheated pasta or jacket potatoes for most meals you were OK. The food was generally DIRE. There was a volunteer came round doing a survey during my stay and he said that this was the biggest complaint he was coming across,

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The hospital food I have encountered over the years on the wards, has always been just about o.k. But if you are able to get to the hospital's restaurant, it is an entirely different kettle of fish. There you get a choice of good hot food or cold meals as you wish. There should not be such a big discrepancy.

I've never encountered Meals on Wheels although I think I could probably qualify for them. I prefer to fudge up my own meals which are much better than the previously mentioned hospital ward meals. I have an idea Meals on Wheels are probably something like the ward meals.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

It's one thing to offer a wide range of freshly-prepared hot food in a hospital restaurant, and quite another to offer a similar service on the wards.

Meals for in-patients have to be delivered to each bed, at least twice a day(breakfasts are usually cereals), and they all have to be served at more or less the same time. Patients can choose from menus, and in my case that meant a total of around twenty different main courses, four or five starters, and eight desserts (some of them hot), in addition to various sandwiches and special diet meals (Halal, Kosher etc.).

Think about the logistics, and you'll realise that microwaving is the answer, in fact it's really the only answer if you want patients to have so much choice.You want them to have that choice because research has shown that good hospital food accelerates recovery.

My apologies to you, wiz-king, for dragging your thread off-topic.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014