We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:


PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner


It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion


 

How not to enjoy a drink


carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

I heard about this on the radio but didn't really hear it properly and thought that some one had pored the stuff into her drink out of spite.

Didn't realise that it's the Wine bar using it in their drinks Liquid nitrogen what sort of idiot puts some thing that is so lethal into a drink and doesn't expect a fatality to occur.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

This practice has been around for a while, and is generally harmless - the liquid nitrogen boils off before the drink is consumed. It's a gimmick, and is not illegal, but it obviously has a potential for causing harm. I imagine the fad will rapidly become history now.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Not your maths - your physics - a frozen stomach is a rigid structure and this would reduce its ability to expand.

Too many variables!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Too cold and the drink will burn out the throat and stomach lining. A bit like drinking Still Strength Spirits.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Anyone check my maths?"

Not me, a gate slams shut in my brain when I contemplate that kind of calculation.

By all accounts this girl downed two of the cocktails containing liquid nitrogen in quick succession - before the nitrogen had boiled off in the glass, which is what normally happens. Nirogen gas is harmless enough, and I imagine that hundreds of thousands of drinks with it added in a liquid state have been consumed.

Gaby was unlucky - either the bartender didn't warn her to wait, or he did, and she didn't wait. Either way it went horribly wrong, and that's enough of a warning for other bars to cease adding the stuff from now on. I guess that all local authorities are busy issuing a banning notice as I write.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

What about the chap in USA who is reported to have eaten live cockroaches...I shall stick to ham, egg and chips, thanks...

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

Apparently the human body can adapt without a stomach which this hapless girl had removed. The small intestine compensates and acts as a replacement.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"LanceAlot"

You're right, but life after stomach removal has to change. Your small bowel will take over the digestion of food, but it can't absorb some vitamins and minerals as well as your stomach did. It means you'll have to take pills for the rest of your life, and probably change your diet. You'll certainly have to eat smaller meals and more frequently.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Not the ideal way to go on a diet is it?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

On a lighter note ...

This short (alcohol-related) scene from Easy Rider always makes me smile ... look out for the subliminal advertising as Jack exits the police station:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySgOds3bzcc

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

How about behaviour likely to cause serious injury. If she had died that might have meant manslaughter.

Liquid nitrogen is only available at a few outlets and since it is only liquid because it is extremely cold, I would have expected a long hard look from the seller, with at lease a risk assessment and warnings included.

It is only days since at least one person was brain damaged by sniffing Nitrous Oxide!

N2O is relatively harmless. Once a widely used basis for general anaesthesia. It was not very potent and by inhaling a mixture of 20% N2O to 80% Oxygen, the average patient remained lightly unconscious. Pushing the N20 increased the depth of unconsciousness but added to the dangers of the process. "A quick whiff of gas" meant hypoxia for as short a time as it took to deal with something quick and simple was routine in the first half of the last century.

Too much money to waste on drinking, or too little money so what is available is spent on oblivion for one day each week, is the sad lot of so many.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.



IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?