We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How not to enjoy a drink

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

I heard about this on the radio but didn't really hear it properly and thought that some one had pored the stuff into her drink out of spite.

Didn't realise that it's the Wine bar using it in their drinks Liquid nitrogen what sort of idiot puts some thing that is so lethal into a drink and doesn't expect a fatality to occur.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

sorry, plasted ...should be blasted.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

F.E.

Thanks for bringing me up to date with the source of liquid Nitrogen.

I realise that N2O is a totally different substance, but related by the party event and the damage it can do when misused.

The people that suffer these catastrophies are either hedonistic undereducated Hooray Henrys or too often innocents of the try anything once brigade with more money to spend unwisely.

Liquid Nitrogen and perhaps the liquid had all evaporated just leaving a slushy slug which was still capable of severe burning of the stomach blood supply, literally killing much of the stomach wall. Add to that an appalling increase in pressure possibly tearing much of its surrounding.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Diemmess

Nitrous Oxide is certainly causing problems - far more than liquid nitrogen in fact.

It has become a trendy thing to inhale at parties and clubs, mainly from balloons that have been filled from readily available canisters. In America the canisters are called 'Whip-its', I have no idea what they're called in this country.

Users get a couple of minutes of euphoria, but continued use can lead to damage to the central nervous system, and in extreme cases to death - vomiting is common, and there's a risk of inhaling vomit into the lungs, with fatal results.

Like this post
yonex24562

Likes # 0

Just read this and as I work in the chemical industry I feel that I must point out that N2 is only harmless as long as there is plenty of oxygen about as well. Take the O2 away and you very quickly have a very dangerous, odourless gas that can kill very quickly and has been the cause of many fatalities in industry over the years. So I reckon that it is not something that should be trifled with.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

yonex24562

Thank you for that information.

I believe that most nitrogen-related deaths occur when large amounts of the gas are being used - typically in nitrogen purging of tanks etc. The Nitrogen gas displaces the oxygen, and people can die of asphyxiation. The small amounts used in the context being discussed here wouldn't pose an asphyxiation risk, but as we've heard, the liquefied form can be lethal if ingested.

On the subject of inhaling nitrogen, it's worth remembering that the air we breathe is 78% Nitrogen, and only 28% Oxygen.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Hello???

78% + 28% = 106% or it was before I tried breathing N2O

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Diemmess

Ah - someone is awake!

You would think that I would read what I typed before posting, wouldn't you?

Of course we all knew that Oxygen figure should be 21%, and for the record, the remainder is composed of argon, and trace amounts of carbon dioxide, neon, helium, methane, krypton, hydrogen, nitrous oxide, xenon, ozone, iodine, carbon monoxide, and ammonia.

Plus a bit of water vapour in various places.

Thanks for the heads up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK