We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Assange Bail Money

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I read that the Assange Bail Guarantors are being made to pay up a percentage of their Cash Guarantees.

I suppose it is a case of putting your money where you mouth is.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

That's the deal with bail bonds, if the defendant skips bail the bind holder has to cough up

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

That's the trouble with guarantees; no-one expects to have to pay up under them.

In my banking days, it was common to take property as collateral against guarantees and, sadly, people lost their houses as a result.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

As I said in a previous thread, there was never any chance that these people were going to have to pay up in full.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I had two questions when I started this thread.

Why did the Guarantors think that they should not cough up the Bail Money when Assange effectively skipped the country ?

And why has the amount of Bail Money to be paid been reduced ?

Surely Bail is what it says and Guarantee Bail Money is exactly that.

Sometimes I cannot understand the law in this country.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

'And why has the amount of Bail Money to be paid been reduced ?'

I assume, rightly or wrongly, that as each guarantor guarantees the full amount of the bail, they claimed a percentage from each of them to make up 100% of the total bail.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Perhaps because the judge agreed that Assange's conduct could not have been predicted by any reasonable person"

In court there were several arguments put as to why individual sureties would suffer great hardship if required to pay the full amount. They claimed that they acted in good faith when agreeing to the bail arrangements, and that subsequent events were totally unforeseen. Their claim was that if they had exerted pressure on Assange not to seek asylum they might have forced him into a situation where he was in danger, and that it would have been inhumane for them to have done so.

The judge said that having heard from the sureties he was in no doubt about their integrity, and that he would take some account of it. he accepted that they had all trusted Assange, and that they had followed the necessary procedures in maintaining contact with him. Nevertheless, he made the point that they has all failed in their duty to ensure that Assange surrendered himself as required. He pointed out that the courts had made it clear from the outset that they believed there were substantial grounds for believing Assange would abscond.

The various sums that were imposed took into account the personal circumstances of each surety.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

"He pointed out that the courts had made it clear from the outset that they believed there were substantial grounds for believing Assange would abscond."

I admit to not really understanding too much about these things, but if the court thought he was likely to abscond, why was bail allowed? Could he not have been held on remand?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Picklefactory

Danger to the public ............. low

Cost of keeping him inside ........... high

Cost of extradition hearing high

If he absconds while on bail then cost ........ -ve ... money made!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Thanks....simples

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia