We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle Fire HD Anybody ordered Yet

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just been reading about the new Kindle gadget. Not available until later this month, I got to wondering if our FE or anybody else has pre-ordered one yet?

I'm tempted, but then again I am quite happy with the Kindle I already have.

Even if somebody bought me one for my birthday or the annual spending solstice. I don't know if I could possibly justify having one. Looks as if it would cost more money in buying films etc. Since I got my normal Kindle I have gone over the top with my buying and reading books. I don't think I have the time to squeeze anything else in to my time schedule.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

**"My point exactly, which I made in response to the post that the printed book was facing a threat to its future. It isn't, any more than the cinema is from DVDs."**

Come come, it's me you're talking to, and I'm not fooled by your attempt at wriggling. You said

"The world market for printed books is vast, and, as yet, is not threatened by on-line material." Your meaning was crystal clear, and you were wrong - the market for printed books is not only threatened by on-line material it has been seriously harmed by it. The evidence is everywhere if you just take the trouble to look.

In 2010 one out of every ten books sold in the UK market was an e-book. In America the figure was roughly the same. By the middle of this year e-book sales in America exceeded the sales of hardback books for the first time. In the UK 21% of all online book sales in the first six months of this year were e-books. In India that figure was 24% in Australia it was 21%.

Extracting relevant information from the mass of data available isn't easy, and drawing conclusions is even harder - there are many factors affecting both e-book and printed book markets, not the least important of which is the question of sales taxes on e-books in various countries.

What emerges is quite clear however - printed book sales are declining as the sales of e-books accelerates. The idea that the printed book market isn't threatened by it is a delusion. As e-book reading devices become more and more sophisticated - and cheaper - the trend is accelerating. In 2010 e-book sales represented 6% of all publishing industry revenues. In 2011 that figure more than doubled to 15%. In the first three months of 2012 the figure reached 25%. Book shops still account for the lion's share of the publishing industry's total revenues, but the writing is on the wall.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I ought to address your other comment about cinema and DVD sales.

You say that the cinema isn't threatened by DVD sales, and that's probably true. The real threat to both ticket sales and DVD numbers is piracy. In 2010 cinema goers purchased 1.33 billion tickets. In 2011 that figure declined to 1.24 billion.

In 2010 seven films notched up DVD sales in excess of $100 million. In 2011 not one film managed to reach $100 million.

The correlation between declining ticket and DVD revenues and illegal download statistics is becoming clearer. In 2011 just 10 films accounted for over 75 million illegal downloads. If you think about the fact that most of those represent at least one person who might otherwise have paid for a ticket or a DVD rental it's not difficult to see why industry revenues are in decline.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"market for printed books is not only threatened by on-line material it has been seriously harmed by it."

I have no doubt of that for a moment, but, perhaps mistakenly, I took Aitchbee's comment that the printed book was facing a threat to its future as meaning a threat to its existence.

It is that concept I am challenging.

I think "hardcopy" recorded music will disappear before hardcopy literature.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The biggest threat to cinema is price.

Due to the rapidly expanding film budgets (the new Lone Ranger film is costing in excess of $250m, the latest Bond film cost $150m, although $49m of that was paid by Heineken to make Bond a lager drinker) Cinema ticket prices are increasing rapidly. £7.50 for a standard adult ticket, add £2.50 for a 3D movie, plus £1 to borrow their specs if you don't have them.

If you don't smuggle your own refreshments in you're looking at £10 for a bucket of salty popcorn, and a bucket of syrupy water.

I really don't know how families afford a trip to the pictures these days

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As Alan14 said I also think that price is the biggest threat the current cinema has. I used to go to the cinema regularly but recently I have only been going to see movies that I thought would look best on the big screen. Now I have my hearing aids I can actually hear what is being said again. Other movies can wait for the DVD or my annual pilgrimage to Thailand.

I'm not poor by any means but I begrudge paying the sort of prices being asked to watch a 2 hour movie and 30 minutes of adverts. I sometimes mitigate the cost by going on pensioner days when prices are more realistic and I never seem to be alone.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"$49m of that was paid by Heineken to make Bond a lager drinker"

That's certainly dumbing down on a big scale, lager lout replacing the elegant shaken not stirred!

What next? Bond taking to drinking red wine with fish...

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Fairly sure Heineken are not aiming their product at lager louts, that's the job of Carling & Fosters

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"lager lout replacing the elegant shaken not stirred!"

The film's producers wanted to nudge the Bond character towards the 21st century - make him more 'real' to a modern audience, and judging by the reviews I've read they have succeeded beyond their wildest dreams - the film is being given a huge thumbs up by the critics.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Good grief FE.

Next thing he'll be wearing jeans and T shirt instead of black tie evening atire... some things should never change.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Very interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Times magazine about Ian Fleming and his time as a Sunday Times journalist.

He was paid a salary equivalent to £200k a year, and by the sound of things spent his time running a cadre of former MI6 agents around the globe.

Also a very interesting article on The Register about the possibility of James Bond type agents being real, and it seems there are agents who do that type of work, but without the Aston Martin Vanquish

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...