We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle Fire HD Anybody ordered Yet

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just been reading about the new Kindle gadget. Not available until later this month, I got to wondering if our FE or anybody else has pre-ordered one yet?

I'm tempted, but then again I am quite happy with the Kindle I already have.

Even if somebody bought me one for my birthday or the annual spending solstice. I don't know if I could possibly justify having one. Looks as if it would cost more money in buying films etc. Since I got my normal Kindle I have gone over the top with my buying and reading books. I don't think I have the time to squeeze anything else in to my time schedule.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm surprised that they can sell an audio product that doesn't take a standard 3.5mm audio output jack.

And how do they make a profit on that cable at £1.99 post free?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I read in today's METRO... The paper book faces a fresh threat to its future from a new £10 e-reader. The ' txtr beagle ' weighs just 128g (4.5oz) and will go head-to-head with Amazon's Kindle, which sells for £69. The German-made device will not offer Kindle's more advanced capabilities, such as 3G, wi-fi and web browsing. It will be available from October 25.

...very interesting!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Paper books will not face a real threat in this country until the VAT is removed from e-books.

It is not a level playing field.

"Anybody else getting this problem or not. "

Exactly the opposite (though it's not a problem, far from it!).

I don't get any e-mail notifications on any threads I've started.

If I knew how I've done it I'd let you know!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

**"Paper books will not face a real threat in this country until the VAT is removed from e-books. It is not a level playing field."**

Really?

For every 100 print books Amazon UK sells it sells 114 e-books.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I have to say, since I have had my kindle I have read more books than ever (I was already a prolific reader) and now other than large reference books, I don't think I will be returning to printed media.

The kindle is just so damn convenient!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

There was a period when mobile manufacturers put their own plugs in place to force people to use their own headsets.

I think Apple still has a deeper socket, although most headphones now have a longer plug to accommodate iDevices

As for making a profit on a £1.99 lead - I recently bought a lens mount adaptor for my camera, a simple metal ring with Sony bayonet mount on one side and a M42 receiver ring on the other side. Cost £3.85 + 99p postage from a UK seller on eBay, but I bought it for £1.37 from someone in Hong Kong. The jiffy bag when it arrived had HK$2.50 of stamps, which equates to about 20p. That's how they make a profit, the postage costs them next to nothing

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

Yes, and for everyone who sees a film in the cinema a much greater number see it on DVD, but that doesn't spell the end of the cinema any more than then the advent of TV was widely predicted to do.

The world market for printed books is vast, and, as yet, is not threatened by on-line material.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

The world market for printed books is very much threatened by the huge growth in the sales of e-books.

Ten years ago there were 330 book shops in New York. Today there are thirty.

That isn't entirely due to e-book sales of course, it's largely the result of people buying books online - mainly from Amazon, which is the world's largest book seller by far. Amazon has 50% of all e-book sales on the planet.

The world's largest book seller is saying that over 50% of its book sales are now e-books, so your comment that "The world market for printed books is vast, and, as yet, is not threatened by on-line material." cannot possibly be true.

Many of the world's authors recognise the fact that they can sell more copies of their work if they publish in e-book form, and lots of them are by-passing the middlemen and publishing their own work. JK Rowling has started her own online book selling site - Pottermore - and is publisher her work as e-books.

Printed books will always continue to sell of course, but as time goes on the sales volumes will continue to decrease. A new generation of book-readers is going to grow up expecting all its reading material to be published electronically. It's a tide that will not be stemmed, regardless of the debates about sales taxes etc. that are an inevitable part of the revolution.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

By New York, do you mean the five boroughs?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Printed books will always continue to sell of course,"

My point exactly, which I made in response to the post that the printed book was facing a threat to its future.

It isn't, any more than the cinema is from DVDs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......