We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Kindle Fire HD Anybody ordered Yet

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just been reading about the new Kindle gadget. Not available until later this month, I got to wondering if our FE or anybody else has pre-ordered one yet?

I'm tempted, but then again I am quite happy with the Kindle I already have.

Even if somebody bought me one for my birthday or the annual spending solstice. I don't know if I could possibly justify having one. Looks as if it would cost more money in buying films etc. Since I got my normal Kindle I have gone over the top with my buying and reading books. I don't think I have the time to squeeze anything else in to my time schedule.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm seriously tempted by the Kindle Fire HD, just looking for a suitable excuse

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I was tempted, but I saw some very mediocre reviews.

Thinking more of the Nexus now.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Much like Morddyd, I looked at the Kindle FIre HD (even put one on pre-order). However, after reading a few reviews I wasn't happy that it's limited to the Amazon app store only (no access to Google Play), and any apps purchased previously through Play can't be used.

Again, like Morddwyd, I started looking at the Nexus and ended up getting one. It is brilliant. The ergonomics and size are exactly what my wife never knew she wanted. She won't put the thing down now!

The Kindle app is available through Play, so you've got full access to the Amazon eBook library.

For £199 (16Gb model) and supplied with £15 of Play vouchers, I reckon it's superb value for money.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've recently taken to using Audible (part of Amazon I believe) for listening audio books using my phone and a Bluetooth earpiece and now won't replace my Sony reader with another reader as planed, I can get through more books while someone else reads them to me while I walk the dog... is that lazy or what?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....is that lazy or what?"

Whether it is or not, I do something similar. I listen to talking books whilst on long drives.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I have a huge collection of audio books, they make the 90 minute each way commute bearable.

Audible have introduced Whispersync that means you can sync your audio book with your kindle & vice versa, so you listen to the book on the way to work, then pick up where you left off on your Kindle at lunchtime, then go back to the audio book on the way home. Genius

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's clever technology alan14, but my phone is always in my pocket so I don't need that kind of convenience.

I also use the Librivox out of copyright public domain audiobooks which I would probably never listen at all if I had to pay for them.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I prefer Audio books to music when on long drives my car CD plays mp3 CDs so have converted many books to mp3.

I have the George R Martin Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) in mp4a format which when converted made the file nearly a Gig in size.

I'm looking for a good free mp3 splitter to split the file into 10 min sections (hard to find place otherwise when other half swaps the CD).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you play them from a phone as mp3, most phone OSs have an app for free that does bookmarking to keep your place.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My phone will play MP3s but doesn't do apps :0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014