We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

rdave Vosper Fibre Glass Sweepers

Strawballs

Likes # 0

rdave asked me if I knew about the GRP sweepers build by Vosper Thornycroft.

I actually spent 6 years in the GRP at Woolston between 1996 - 2002.

Yes they did build a lot of sweepers for the RN 2 different types MCMV's Mine counter measure vessels and the later Sandown Class of SRMH

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It depends when it was in the 1950's this type of boat was at Felixstowe. I think that it was constructed of mahogany hard chine.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Vospers built a lot of MTB's during the war. The then owner of the company (I think it was Cmdr Ducane) went to the MOD just before the war with the design for them and they were not interested so he built a handful of them as stock, after the war started the MOD came back to him and asked how quickly he could make them. He said he had some they could have now just need the torpedo launchers fitted.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think if the FE was talking about "huge" (even to a child) boats, possibly MTBs, the he probably saw HSLs, High Speed Launches, not RSLs, Range Safety Launches, which were rather tame by comparison!

http://www.bmpt.org.uk/otherboatshistory/High%20Speed%20Launches/HSL2688_HSL2745.htm

I served on 2688 (top picture).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK