We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

rdave Vosper Fibre Glass Sweepers

Strawballs

Likes # 0

rdave asked me if I knew about the GRP sweepers build by Vosper Thornycroft.

I actually spent 6 years in the GRP at Woolston between 1996 - 2002.

Yes they did build a lot of sweepers for the RN 2 different types MCMV's Mine counter measure vessels and the later Sandown Class of SRMH

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It must have been 1971 not 1970 when I was there. Exiting times with the 'new' technology of GRP, now called 'fibreglass'. The first trial vessels were docked at Vospers quays when I was an apprentice, at the time, in Woolston Training Center for Yacht and Boat Building, Southampton. In that year the QE II was docked there and , if I remember correctly, a nuclear submarine , I can't remember the subs name, was docked for the last time before she was sent to the knackers yard. I'll have to google the name for the sub. I was simply stunned at the sizes of these vessels, bearing in mind, I was only 17 at the time.

Strawballs, as the hulls were 'plastic' how successful were these boats? Would be very interested in your reply.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

radve13 - They have been very successful. Over 20 mine counter measure ships have been built for the Royal Navy. The big advantage is non-magnetic construction which is a distinct advantage when dealing with magnetic mines. Some have been sold off/retired fairly early due to the defence cuts.

GRP is now used for most MCM vessels around the world. The Italians have successfully sold derivatives of their Lerici class including Australia and USA. Yet again why has UK lost out?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell ,Yet again why has UK lost out?

Good inventors, bad businessmen. We're a daft country. Best brains and give the knowledge away as usual.

Puts the Great in Britain I suppose.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

HMS Wiltn was the first GRP warship in the world. Commissioned in 1973 she was decommissioned in 1994 and is now the home of the Essex Yacht Club at Leigh-on-Sea.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Wilton is the correct spelling.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW I doubt that you saw a nuclear submarine before disposal. The first one wasn't decommissioned until the early 1980's.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not long after the Mine Sweepers (as called then) were trialled.

Found this archive and that is where the college still runs I believe.

Looking at Google maps, the place has changed dramatically, just a bridge to cross the Solent today.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Woolwell you are right I think. Mixed it up with the QE II. She was the one that was 'scrapped' and went to the USA I believe.

At the time we could have had a guided tour around the ship for a very expensive fiver. By the time I had the fiver there was a bomb scare and no one was allowed near the docks. As far as the Sub is concerned I thought it was Nautilus , that's what I remembered seeing on the posters.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Nautilus was/is American.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly the first nuclear sub on these shores then?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...