We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

rdave Vosper Fibre Glass Sweepers

Strawballs

Likes # 0

rdave asked me if I knew about the GRP sweepers build by Vosper Thornycroft.

I actually spent 6 years in the GRP at Woolston between 1996 - 2002.

Yes they did build a lot of sweepers for the RN 2 different types MCMV's Mine counter measure vessels and the later Sandown Class of SRMH

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Had a look on google and Nautilus was docked in Southampton docks in 1971. The first nuclear submarine.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have to re-phrase that, she was the first Nuke sub but can't find references to her being docked at Sou'ampton.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Al of the Navy's SRMH's Single role Mine Hunter's were built by VT at woolston and all but 2 of the MCMV's were also built by VT the other 2 were built at what is now Scotston. VT also built 3 SRMH's for Saudi Arabia. You were saying about the thickness being 2 inches on the Ton Class that was wilton. The single Roles were 3 inches down the bow with a stainless shoe over that.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Sorry went out. They were very successful and very strong Every time a new batch were built they took one of them and exploded a mine under it and each time very little damage was done!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

HMS Dreadnought, UK nuclear sub, was around from 1963.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

No record of Nautilus at Southampton in 1971 that I can find but perhaps at Faslane. However Dreadnought did visit Southampton between 28 Oct and 1 Nov 1971.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's a good link Strawballs , thanks.

Woolwell, I also couldn't find anything about the Nautilus being docked there. Must have been the Dreadnought. I remember it as a big sub, whichever it was. It was certainly an eye-opener to me seeing the docks for the first time.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

When my father was the Commanding Officer of RAF Felixtowe they had Motor torpedo boats. I was very young at the time, but I can clearly remember seeing these (to me) huge boats being lifted from the water by a crane at the end of a pier.

I assume the boats were built by Vospers - am I right in thinking they had laminated plywood hulls? I seem to recall someone telling me they did.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

They might have been converted MTBs, but the RAF never used them in that role of course.

They were solely for rescue and the only armament they had were gun turrets, aircraft style, not naval 6 inch!

I think they were Frazer Nash mk 4 or 5.

The engines, I seem to recall, were Thorneycroft, but I can't remember who built the boats themselves, though Vickers are rolling around my head somewhere.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do