We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Highway robbery? Another charge now levied for the unlucky drivers

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

who's vehicle causes damage to the highway. story here This has given concern to insurance companies and policy holders too when inflated claims are demanded by various Highways Agency contractors for cleaning and repairs carried out. TC.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Road fund licence is meant for road repairs tell them to take it out of that instead of sending abroad.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that there is anything new in the liability just the question over price.

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

About time this sort of scam was highlighted. It only happens if you're fully insured and I strongly believe that these companies take full advantage of the fact that honest people are insured. Inflated prices no doubt. Time for independent bodies to thoroughly investigate these over inflated bills and fully investigate these so called contractors. No wonder my insurance is so dear.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Do you honestly think the insurance companies would pay "inflated" bills without thoroughly checking them?

Even if they did, do you think their shareholders would let them?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you honestly think the insurance companies would pay "inflated" bills without thoroughly checking them?

Yes and often do. Sorry, should have said, always do.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The safe upkeep of roads [in Scotland & England] is mostly funded by the Council Tax.

The Tories [and SNP in Scotland] want to freeze the Council Tax once again.(Political ... to get more votes).

Therefore, the money (that is necessary for the upkeep/maintenence of roads must come from somewhere (else).

ie...The Motorists.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - There is the Highways Agency and Department for Transport grants to Local Counncils for roads. I don't have an accurate breakdown but I suspect a large proportion comes from central tax.

The OFT is investigating into high insurance premiums due to inflated costs

See OFT investigation Dec 2011

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I have the feeling that the motorists probably pay for the upkeep of this country, never mind the country's roads. You only have to look at the amount of vehicles on the roads to realise that it is the proverbial "Milch Cow".

Of course while we keep paying for the pleasure of owning and running a car they will keep putting up the prices. If only all of us motorists could go on strike for a couple of weeks. We would be fitter and richer but the country would be broke.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

All part,i suspect,of the privatisation or is it privation of britain.

Toll roads will be next so all of these organisations will be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Yes, often, and the Motor Insurers Bureau know that it goes on and do nothing about it. It's nothing new and it's been going on for years. The MIB do nothing as, in their words, "It's not cost effective to try and stop it!"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...