We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Highway robbery? Another charge now levied for the unlucky drivers

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

who's vehicle causes damage to the highway. story here This has given concern to insurance companies and policy holders too when inflated claims are demanded by various Highways Agency contractors for cleaning and repairs carried out. TC.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

As far as I know the highways people have always claimed on the vehicle insurance for damage to highways.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

There's a big difference between the Highways Agency and the contractors who are now running some of our motorways, the contractors are out to get the most they can without any regards to actual cost involved.

If something costs £50 to repair they will bill you for £100 and know full well they will get it, another chance to rip of the cash cow motorist.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

As far as I know the highways people have always claimed on the vehicle insurance for damage to highways.

Quite true. When I worked for a local authority, part of my job was to pursue the motorist to reclaim the cost of repairing damage to the highway

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

You say it was part of your job to pursue the motorist, was this for the purpose of getting them to pay direct, or to provide details of their insurers? You don't make it clear - your post reads as though you were reclaiming directly from the motorist.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

When my ex-father in law tore up a chunk of the central reservation on the M6 Toll he was billed direct by Midland Expressway Ltd with a note to pass it to his insurers for payment.

I assume this is the same process with councils

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

Thank you for that information. It must get complicated when there's a multiple pile-up.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I was pursued by my local council after hitting a lamp post. I was billed quite a considerable sum for the complete replacement of the lamp-post and all the labour costs that went along with that operation.

I happened to know that they did nothing more than replace the inspection plate. How did I know? I could see the lamp-post from my house and could see exactly what work was done.

To cut a long story short the council seem to managed the signed off work orders but still only back down from pursuing the case on the day of the court hearing. By this time I had been refused legal aid so my lawyer had to step back but when I said I was prepared to defend myself she prepared a list of the sort of questions I should be asking.

I arrived a court suitably fortified with a couple of large vodkas only to be told that the council was not preceding with the case.

And the FE wonders why I have a cynical/devious mind.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

your post reads as though you were reclaiming directly from the motorist.

Indeed we did. We took the view that it was a matter between us, the council and the motorist. If he brought his insurer into the equation, that was fine, but the initial contact was always with the motorist who if he did not respond within 21 days, found a county court summons on his doormat. If his insurer then failed to pay in time, we would proceed to a hearing. We NEVER approached the insurer. It was up to them to contact us in their client's interests

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

so that's why our premiums are so so so high high high

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I can see the Highways depts point about charging the morist for repairs but I can also see the motorists/insurers point about these charges being excessive on occasion,£300 to clean up a non-existent oil spill is mentioned & also a comment from a road repairman saying the materials used would only equate to £12.50(ignoring the obvious wages for the repair team,etc)to clean a genuine spill.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite