We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

UK Weather

woodchip

Likes # 0

Not looking good for you lot in the south

Flood Alerts

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

That picture of Portsmouth is almost like the view from my window in Southsea, it has been a beautiful day here all day, and the same sunny blue skies are expected tomorrow with no heavy rain until Monday/Tuesday.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Just come in 15 minutes ago from a late night watching 3 English League matches. Temperature around 34 degrees and humidity off the wall. Expecting storms and perhaps some flooding this weekend which you in the UK could only imagine in your dreams. My message is, dress to suit the weather and get on with your life. If you were silly enough to buy a house in a flood plain at least make sure you get your valued possessions upstairs as you have had ample warning. If you choose not to then I wish you luck with your insurer.

Four more weeks and then we should be in the beginning of the dry season and then it is only the sun we need worry about. I'm wearing my Australian bush hat as One melanoma was warning enough for me.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Drake's Leat runs just outside my front gate, I don't worry about a spot of rain until it is a couple of inches from the top and that has never happened in my 25 years plus in this house.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

chub_tor. I remember it happening in Devon and the rest of the West Country way back in the early fifties, so don't think it can't happen again. It has happened since in different areas of this country and is getting more frequent. So get your wellies ready and get your stuff upstairs. Fit a dam of some kind across your doorways to stop the mucky water getting in.

I've got relatives in Spain who live on the side of a mountain, but they were unlucky enough to have a deluge of water cascade down and through their house. So living elsewhere than in a flood plain doesn't guarantee you are safe from heavy rain.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Nontek. I used to have a beautiful view from Eastney many years ago but didn't really appreciate it as it was in the barracks. Now those same barrack blocks are the homes of the rich and have one of the most beautiful views in this country.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

Eastney barracks, a stones throw from where I live. RM Museum is still there though, and open to the public.

As is so often the case, when one has interest on ones doorstep, I have never been into the museum.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"After the wettest summer in 100 years, Farming Today [BBC Radio4] this week, looks at the effects of flooding and what can be done by agriculture and government to prevent it."

Basically ...what the experts were saying ... MUCH more money has to be spent [BIG TIME] in the dredging of rivers and the maintenance of topsoil in areas where flooding occurs.

Just like 'forking' a lawn to improve air-flow & drainage.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Nontek. I know what you mean by places on the doorstep. I have recently discovered two cathedrals and some tunnels which were dug by French POW's way back even before the time of Brumas. Only been to see the Grand National once, Many other local places in Liverpool which I am either discovering or re-discovering. New Brighton which was the weekend getaway for us pre-war has now been modernised and is brilliant. There is an old greasy spoon cafe hidden away in amongst the modern shops and buildings. Great bacon butties for a reasonable price. A much nicer place to visit than Blackpool with all its lights and bells etc....

However I have been in to the RM Museum a few times. It is worth a visit, so don't leave it too late. Of course I also remember it when it was a thriving Officer's Mess. That was just after WW2 and at that time there were three large Royal Marines Barracks (Chatham; Stonehouse (in Plymouth) and of course Eastney)). No I wasn't an officer, but somebody had to peel the spuds and generally look after them. (Some of them were incapable of looking after themselves and probably still are).

In the museum there is a large and beautiful collection of medals and decorations; weapons and uniforms of all types. As in all museums there is far too much to describe. You need to go and browse around. They encourage the local people to visit and I think they have lectures on all sorts of subjects. They have a children's section which I believe is well attended and very popular.

Tell them I sent you when you visit....

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

chub_tor Guessing where you live, from username and Drake's Leat, then I don't think that there is much chance of you being flooded. Snow may cause a few snags though!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Woolwell and from your username I guess that you are just down the road close to where we do much of our grocery shopping!

In 25 years we have been snowed in twice, but now that cycle track 27 goes past the gate and we are tarmacked it is easier for farmer Northmore to use his snow plough.

I have seen the water in the leat within 6 inches of the top and that was really good as it completely cleared out all the leaves and debris but most of the time it is dry. Last week we had maybe an inch. Incidentally the leat is a great place to find golf balls - we are just off the 17th fairway and although we see many golfers hunting in the scrub outside our house they rarely look in the leat!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide