We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are we really getting rid of that detestable man "Abbu" ?at last?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just saw on the news that the police have driven that one armed, one eyed cleric away somewhere. Let'e hope it is to the airport.

I hope there's not any chance of us having him or the other four who are supposed to be extradited with him, back here to darken our shores again.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I am sure that if I stood up in the center of Liverpool and said the equivalent of the things he is known to have said. My feet would not have touched the ground on my way to the clink. Would I have been able to manipulate the law the way he has? No chance!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm, He's facing Terrorism charges in US. Here's a quote from my link on Page 3 of this thread

"On 26 August 2004, Hamza was arrested by British police under section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000 which covers the instigation of acts of terrorism. Charges against him were dropped on 31 August 2004, but he was kept in jail whilst a U.S. extradition case was developed and British authorities drew up further criminal charges of their own. Almost two months later, on 19 October 2004, Hamza was charged with 15 offences under the provisions of various British statutes, including encouraging the murder of non-Muslims, and intent to stir up racial hatred. The trial commenced on 5 July 2005, but was adjourned, and not resumed until 9 January 2006. On 7 February 2006, he was found guilty on eleven charges and not guilty on four......Abu Hamza was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment."

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I'm not aware that the law in Liverpool is different to the law in any other part of the country, so why anyone should think that this man would have been treated differently, had he preached in a Liverpool mosque is beyond me.

As far as lawyers are concerned, it was their duty to act in the best interests of their client in finding legal devices with which to launch Repeated appeals and delaying tactics. The lawyers aren't at fault at all, in fact I'm sure you would be delighted to have such people acting for you, we're you to find yourself facing a long prison sentence on conviction. That's what lawyers are for, and if they succeed in using the process of law to keep matters going for long periods it's the law which is to blame, not them.

Calling people 'lowlife lumps of scum' may be satisfying , but it achieves precisely nothing. Our society is full of people on whom you might pin the same badge - probably quite a few if them are in Liverpool.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"someone we want to expel from the country. "

But we cannot, and have not, expelled him from the country.

He is a British citizen.

All we have done is extradite him to face charges in another country.

When he has completed his sentence, or if he is found not guilty on appeal, he may return here, in fact, the Yanks will probably deport him back here, they don't prat around like us.

It's also quite possible that he will apply to be able to serve his sentence in the UK, as to deny him the right to be near his family is against his human rights.

Like this post  
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

Perhaps it's not only a question of is the law an ass, but the way our Home Office and judiciary interpret the imposed EU law.

I don't see the French, for example, being all soft and bunny-like in similar situations like Hamza.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

Bonté divine! Vous voulez dire que vous n'aimez pas quelque chose en français?

This is one way in which the French take a tougher stance than us silly English:

...France: New counter-terror bill allows for prosecution of those who attend jihad training camps abroad Watch for the charges of "Islamophobia" and "hate," coming very soon. "France targets foreign-trained extremists with new law," from Agence France Presse , October 4 (thanks to all who sent this in):

PARIS: A new anti-terrorism bill unveiled by France’s government Wednesday would expand already tough laws and seek to deter people from traveling abroad to train at terror camps, and is designed to prevent a repeat of an attack during which a French Islamist killed seven people. In March, a young French radical Mohammad Merah killed three Jewish children, a rabbi and three paratroopers over eight days before he died in a standoff with police. Merah claimed links to Al-Qaeda and said he had received training at an Islamist paramilitary camp in Pakistan.

The bill would give new power to France’s already-strong legal arsenal to fight terrorism by allowing authorities to bring to justice anyone who attends foreign training camps, even before they can strike at home.

This measure “will let us pursue people who are going to terrorism training camps abroad, even if they haven’t committed any crimes on French soil,” government spokeswoman Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said.

Current law only allows prosecution of French nationals if crimes that they commit abroad are penalized in the same way as in France, and if foreign authorities point out the crimes by French people – though exceptions exist in cases like sexual tourism or mercenary activity....

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE.

I don't remember saying anything about preaching in a mosque in Liverpool. I said basically that the treatment I would get would be different than this man got. I think I said my feet wouldn't touch the ground. I know I wouldn't be allowed to act the way he has acted consistently for years.

Where and how do I get the lawyers he got?

There are certainly lumps of low life scum in Liverpool, as there are in your neck of the woods. But I don't think they can afford the type of lawyers this man had at his beck and call. (I am now wondering if perhaps they were paid for by the taxpayer?) They are certainly grabbing more money by prolonging their cases. I also think was a certain amount of being afraid of the consequences of doing the correct thing with this case. All hell would have broken loose with the man's followers. He should have been extradited years ago.

Have we got the ability to green tick back yet? So I can do so with this thread.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

What you actually said was:

I am sure that if I stood up in the center of Liverpool and said the equivalent of the things he is known to have said. My feet would not have touched the ground on my way to the clink.

My point was that the law in Liverpool is the same as the law in London, and your treatment would be the same in both places.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

it is very good that he has gone but the whole sorry state of affairs raises very big questions over the judicial system not only in the UK but in Europe as a whole

my human rights check box for someone standing trial = 1, will they get a fair trial 2, will they be treated humanly if convicted and imprisoned the rest irrelivent they lost that when they crossed the line we need to get back to common sense

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

forum member

lol. I knew you'd want the last word. Have a lovely day.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite