We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The naked rambler

Graham*

Likes # 0

See BBC. What has he got in that large back-pack, I wonder? No clothes to bother with. Soap and towel? And is that a solar panel?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Why can't the law authorities fit a customized 'modesty belt' to this obsessive attention seeker ... that might bring him to his senses.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

because they - and we - live in the real world.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I know it is a serious debate but come on! The man has problems and needs help. If his actions aren't deemed irrational then what is for heaven's sake.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE, electronic tagging would have been frowned upon not so long ago ...so my idea ... would be 'fit-for-purpose' for this individual.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

You know what I don't think that our friend fourm member cares a jot what happens to this man, and despite what he implies I don't believe that he support his actions. I think that he is just playing a game to see how much heat can be created when the normal accepted rules of human behaviour are challenged.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

namtas, Devil's advocate you mean? Makes a good discussion if you have one in the fourm...err forum, don't you think?

:)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If they chop is bits off they would not bother about him

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

That word 'conform', it inevitably crops up sooner or later whenever someone acts in a way that society generally finds odd, or unacceptable. It's a word that must be mentioned a million times a month in student bars up and down the country. Young people who are beginning to explore their freedom have a dread of conforming - they see it as tantamount to having one foot in the grave, and yet, there they are, years later, with kids of their own, desperately conforming right left and centre.

For any ordered society to survive it must have a basic set of rules to which everyone conforms. Some of the rules are irksome,and some members of society break them. Their transgressions might be minor, like parking on a meter without paying, but others are more serious, and when that happens the punishment s more severe. It's the rule of law, and we either abide by it or accept the consequences. Some people break with conventions and get away with it - people like Screaming Lord Sutch, for instance, bring a refreshing breath of air into what can be stuffy contexts, and we accept them, even love them for it. We smile and celebrate their eccentricities as something which marks us out as an interesting society.

Other people - like the individual we're discussing here- are nuisances, plain and simple,and to suggest that we're losing our sense of perspective because don't tolerate his non-conformity is patronising at best, and a plain insult to our collective intelligence at worst.

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

If this man is so objectionable then why have so many others (male and female)been allowed naked on 'The Fourth Plinth' in Trafalgar Square without the same reaction from both authorities and public alike? Could it be because it was considered Art? Not that I think it was art myself...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

'The Fourth Plinth' - you have to purposely go and see that. A naked man roaming the country going past the unprepared public that includes children is not the same thing. Actually being naked is not the issue or what Gough has been charged with in the past.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...