We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The naked rambler

Graham*

Likes # 0

See BBC. What has he got in that large back-pack, I wonder? No clothes to bother with. Soap and towel? And is that a solar panel?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

fourm member

Can you not accept that your viewpoint is very much a minority one however many times you retype it.

Most people do not find his behaviour unacceptable and would not want their children to see him naked in the street.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"No-one seems willing to say why they 'would not want their children to see him naked in the street'."

That begs the question - do have children of your own? If you do, I'm astonished that you can't provide the answer yourself.Since you've asked however, I'll provide the answer.

Long ago we decided that it wasn't acceptable to wander around exposing your genitals. Almost all societies have come to the same conclusion; even if they don't wear other items of clothing they cover their genitals. There's a reason - naked men are likely to be aroused by the sight of naked women, and a sexually aroused man isn't an acceptable sight in a public context - women see it as threatening. We started wearing full clothing when we inhabited colder places, and gradually the naked body became unacceptable in public, except in certain clearly defined circumstances - partial clothing in public bathing areas, for example.

It's no good citing the 'bodies are beautiful, and nothing to be ashamed of' mantra, because to most people it's unadulterated claptrap. They don't want to see naked people wandering in public.

Asking the vast majority to justify itself to a tiny minority isn't valid.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Ignore him and he'll give up, or not, as the case may be. To be honest, our reaction is illogical and dishonest.

I think that somewhere, buried deep in his psyche, is a desire to seek attention.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Toothbrush and toothpaste.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well we seem to be getting some sense now, but just a few posts earlier I was said to hate people cos of my views. Where as I hate bad conduct and actions not People

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Wee eddie

When I read your last my immediate reaction was to agree, then I realised you were talking about the naked rambler ;0)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In all honesty I sincerely think Mr Gough has a deeply rooted problem. Whether it is what he's seen of life or simply being of a character that does not think of other people, I don't know. Whatever, but no-one of reasonable mind would walk out of the house naked to do their shopping, would they? You would not even think about doing it. Possibly the man needs psychiatric help.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Then locking Up

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip LOL. No answer to that one. :)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

"I haven't noticed anyone cite that argument. I certainly haven't."

and I didn't suggest otherwise - I made the comment because someone invariably uses the argument that there's nothing to be ashamed of about the naked human body, or no need for anyone to be alarmed by it either. The fact is, children, and female children in particular can find the sight of a naked man very frightening.

As for "We have a convention that people should be covered in public but it is no more than a convention." you might as well say that it's no more than a convention that men shouldn't expose an erect penis in public. It's a convention (and illegal) because to most people it's offensive. The same rationale applies to walking around stark naked.

We can talk around your argument until the cows come home, but the fact is, society doesn't want naked men on the streets, and people who deliberately and persistently break the taboo are liable to find themselves being stopped by the law.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room