We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nearly Spring

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Flu nab last Monday, free electric blanket check today, then Hallowe'n, Guy Fawkes and a couple of carols and we'll soon be picking daffodils again!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Will "nab" my flu jab in Nov. You circumnavigated the "naughty" word very well.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've just planted 106 daffodil bulbs ... 2 kg of red tulip bulbs to follow (in November)...I'm runnin' outta space already!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Aitchbee. I thought you had given up indoor gardening!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

My flu nab is due in early November, I think. Looking forward to it because we always get a cup of coffee/tea and anorange or anapple. It all happens in the local hall where the welfare and the local churches get together to advise and help us oldies. Can't fault the organisation at all.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Looking forward to it because we always get a cup of coffee/tea and anorange or anapple. "

Jammy devil.

We just go to the local surgery, in and out in less than two minutes, sit in waiting room for five in case of immediate adverse reaction, then out!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Got my Flu jab on Wednesday from the Diabetes nurse when I went for my 6 month check up. The two Saturdays set up for later this month are already fully subscribed.

As at morddwyd's surgery our Saturday sessions are a matter of 'Stand in line, roll up sleeve, give name and reason for qualifying, JAB, exit via the fire door.' No sitting around at our surgery though, they usually have about 4 or 5 nurses drafted in, and a doctor in attendance, and get through a very large number of patients at each session.

No cuppas or goodies at our sessions though, but I did get a new, free blood glucose meter from the nurse however. Bit of a cost saving exercise apparently as the test strips for this new meter are much cheaper than the ones for my current meter, £12 as against £17 for 50. Meters are supplied free by the manufacturers, they make their money from the test strips, a bit like printer manufacturers and their ink.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I wonder if doctors would be so keen to give flu jabs if they didn't get paid extra for them. After all they get paid to maintain patient health but never offer a check up even when you don't see them from one year to the next.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

johndrew. I am a Jammy Devil then because our surgery sends for me if I don't show my face now and again.

For the annual flu inoculations, our local Gild Hall in Formby is taken over for the week by the various welfare bodies, and a big lump (as Brumas would say) of nurses armed to the teeth with needles etc. We attend in alphabetical order at the allotted time and we are through the system in less than a couple of minutes. Then we can go in to the main hall and partake of refreshments provided by the local welfare organisations. There are also police and firemen and others, doling out advice about safety etc. They do a good job.

You may be a victim of the postcode lottery of course.

Maybe I should have used the plural for the group of nurses that do the job. "Big lump" sounds as if I may be taking the mickey out of a single rather large nurse which is not the case.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bing.alau I once 'extracted the urine' out of one large lump of a Q.A.R.A.N.C. nurse, mistake, big mistake, I didn't realise a bed bath could be so painful, humiliating and performed without bed screens ;o{

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

ooh! Carry on Nurse up the Khyber comes to mind. Bet you won't make the same mistake again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data