We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bomber Command veterans face cash shortfall

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wonder if anyone else was - like me - horrified to learn that a small group of war veterans is faced with having to fork out up to £500,000 towards the cost of the new WW2 Bomber Command memorial.

It's taken over sixty years for a proper memorial to be erected to the memory of the people of Bomber Command who lost their lives, and now it's finally there some of the survivors might have to sell their homes to finish paying for it.

I confess to a personal interest in this story - my father flew in Bomber Command - and I'm sadly disappointed that our government seems to be able to find tens of millions of pounds to pay for the consequences of a monumental blunder over train franchises, and millions of pounds to keep a radical Muslim Cleric for years at our expense, but it can't scrape up a relatively small amount to bail these old men out of trouble.

Surely we haven't entirely forgotten that we owe a considerable debt of gratitude to people like this?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The majority of charity trustees will, if they are sensible, have trustee indemnity insurance. This normally covers honest mistakes but not if they have acted recklessly. I would be surprised if they did not have insurance and doubt that they acted recklessly.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

It doesn't take much to offend you, does it?

I expressed an opinion (which I presume this forum is for?) and get a retort, from yourslf, that I'm 'preaching'.

Obviously your family connection with these veterans affects your judgement (and I can unerstand that) - but to demean another person's view in the manner you did was beneath you.

In your original post you were 'horrified' that veterans were owing £500k, and said " some of the survivors might have to sell their homes to finish paying for it.", yet in your response to me you say *" Neither did they put their homes at risk"*

In you last post at 11-16 you say" nobody seriously imagines that WW2 veterans will be placed in that position., yet you were originally 'horrified' enough to start the thread??

Who is 'preaching' and who is consistent, I wonder?

Seems the 'Express' is stepping in to fill the breach, anyway according to this morning's paper review.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

Of course I have a family connection to this - I declared it right from the start. I'm sorry if you are upset by the word 'preaching', it's not a word that people normally find offensive, and it's how I saw your post. You obviously were offended however, so I apologise unreservedly.

I said some of the survivors might have to sell their homes, and then later explained that they didn't put their homes at risk because you asked why they did it. They didn't - the fact that they might have to was a result of the shortfall, not because of some negligent act on their part. There's no inconsistency there at all.

I was horrified enough to start the thread because the story horrified me - that's pretty obvious, isn't it? I said that nobody seriously imagines that these people will actually have to sell their homes because from experience I know that once the spotlight of publicity falls on a human story like this somebody, or some organisation invariably comes to the rescue.

I was right, because today we learn from a Downing Street spokesperson that "The Prime Minister has tasked Downing Street staff to find a way to fill this funding gap of £500,000.”

A 'Whitehall source' has also issued a statement saying “We have managed to find the money for this. It is hugely important.”

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I can't understand why anyone is surprised at this, least of all the veterans themselves.

They, and everyone else, have known for sixty years and more that they are regarded as the pariahs of the war by the Establishment, and no matter how many grand speeches are made, and memorials built, they are not going to be rehabilitated any time soon, certainly not within their lifetimes.

Who betrayed the Bomber Boys? We all did.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

I accept your unreserved apology.

The way you expressed the matter was what I found objectionable - *" Before you start preaching about people being baled out it might be an idea..."*, when you had specifically been doing the same (granted from a diffent angle!) about Banks, Rail Franchises and the Cleric!

Good to see the matter looks like being satisfactorily concluded.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...another media manipulation by PR savvy people has succeeded in getting Cameron to run for the hills.

Actually it might also have something to do with people who - like me - wrote to him on the subject. I believe there were many thousands of emails sent to his office. I even received an acknowledgement from one of his staff.

As for "Filling 'this funding gap' is easy. It's just X fewer hip replacements, or Y fewer nurses or Z fewer police on the street"

It looks as though some tabloid media journalist's training manual has been found on a train.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

There appears to be some mis-information floating about here.

The monument was paid for. The £827000 was the cost of the opening ceremony, considering all MoD involvement was free why on earth did it cost that much?

Of the total cost of the ceremony £550000 is outstanding.

I flew in Bombers during the war - as an ATC Cadet - probably the most dangerous flying that I ever did.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

I find it unimaginable that fourm member has the same viewpoint on this matter as myself - well said, the government money has to come from somewhere and this 'grandiose monument' (to use an earlier poster's description) could have been scaled back initially.

Would those brave guys have been over-concerned about whether their monument was ultra-costly or more modest? I don't think so.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Your cheap shot about tabloid media is just that."

and your comment about hip replacements,nurses, and police on the streets wasn't? Live by the sword, and you can expect to die by the sword. your assumption that my personal circumstances are "combining to make you especially iracsible" was another cheap shot. I'm irascible because our government didn't see things as I did, but that has nothing to do with my reduced mobility.

Explain where the money is to come from - how could I possibly do that? I don't have access to treasury budgets. I imagine it will come from the same place as the £40 million that we're giving to the train companies by way of compensation for civil service ineptitude.

I really had no intention of entering into an argument when I started this thread. I declared my interest from the beginning, and of course I don't expect you, or anyone else to agree with me. It's a free country, as they say, and some of us feel that perhaps a good deal of that freedom stems from the sacrifices made by those who fought in the 39-45 war. Lots of them have had special memorials erected to them over the years, but this one has been late coming, for a variety of reasons. Now it's in place there's a sense of closure, to use the hackneyed phrase, and it's a shame that has been somewhat marred by a wrangle over money - a relatively small amount of money in the overall scheme of things.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

"Would those brave guys have been over-concerned about whether their monument was ultra-costly or more modest? I don't think so."

And I agree. I share the views of others who think the monument is over grandiose, but it's there, it's a fact, and there's not a lot of point in chewing over that aspect of it - the time for doing that was before it was designed and built.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...