We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Oh frabjous day !

Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

'Scareware' trickster fined $163m by US authorities. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There's more frabjousness to come if the Information Commissioner has his way

Not quite on the scale of the Scareware fine, but significant, nevertheless.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

America is so much better than the UK at dishing out stiffer fines and penalties to fraudsters. [this also includes the total retribution on the Big Banks that steal from the unsuspecting and gullable citizens of the USA].

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Excellent.

Now if we could just get scam snail mail covered.

I regularly get an advert which says that BPH (Benign Prostate Hyperplasia) is the second biggest killer of men in this country.

It isn't. It doesn't kill anybody, that's why it's called "Benign".

I should know. I've had it for twenty years! Scaremongering of the worst sort.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Now if we could just get scam snail mail covered."

It's more involved, but there are steps you can take.

Write to:

Freepost RRBT-2BXB-TTTS, Royal Mail Door to Door Opt Outs, Kingsmead House, Oxpens Road, Oxford, OX1 1RX

Or email: [email protected]

and say that you do not wish to receive any un-addressed mail. That won't stop clever senders who address to 'the occupier' but it will reduce the volume considerably.

You can also write to anyone who sends you unwanted mail and tell them that under the provisions of the data protection act 1968 you require them to cease processing personal information for direct marketing purposes within 28 days, or you will apply to a court for an order under said act.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

The MPS is run by the direct marketing industry, and companies aren't legally bound to honour preferences you record with it. Royal mail is, however.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

Thank you.

I'm not particularly bothered by junk mail - my postman gets paid for the number he delivers, and I've no wish to see his wages suffer for the sake of putting them straight in the paper bin!

It's the actual scams that I object to.

In any event, the specific one to which I refer is addressed to me by name, as I once bought a product from this company.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...