We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A year of amazing sport

natdoor

Likes # 0

We have had an amazing Olympics, with great success for British athletes, a win in the Tour de France and several other memorable moments this year. But for me, the thrilling victory in the Ryder Cup at Medinah has been the pinnacle. One could hardly create a more dramatic ending. Both teams deserve immense credit for the amazing skill which they demonstrated under the toughest pressure and their sportsmanlike demeanour. All the Europeans were heroes but, for me, Poulter and Rose stood out.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

The labourer is worthy of his/her hire, and good luck to them. For many of them it's high risk and short lived, but sport it is not

The dictionary begs to differ...

sport (spôrt, sp rt). n. 1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

alan14

"often engaged in competitively"

Unfortunately the "often" is not true for most people - they only watch which, to me, defeats the object. Taking part and getting inspiration from watching is fine but the taking part is the important bit.

Unfortunately I was put off sport at an early age as I was no good at it and was never given the opportunity to play just for fun (which I would have enjoyed). Instead I was always the useless one - the butt of jokes and put downs from my peers (and staff).

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

To illustrate the magnificent 'turnaround' on the last day of the Ryder Cup, Europe were at odds of 33/1 whilst America were a staggering 1/200.[avialable at 8pm on Sunday evening].

Tiger Woods' sporting gesture of gifting the last hole of the match to Francesco Molinari ( ... he might have missed that 4ft putt and it would have ended up a 14-14 draw...an ideal result for the bookies),meant the bookies had to pay out very large sums of money. Ain't that a shame!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The dictionary begs to differ...

sport (spôrt, sp rt). n. 1. a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively Like this post "

Well, yes, like bare knuckle fighting or dueling to the death with swords.

You are technically correct, but it is not what I understand as sport.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

So I assume that you adhere to the classical definition of sport; hunting, shooting, fishing and horse racing. Most of us have moved on from that era. Sport is now regarded by most people to include a game involving skill and physical activity. Professional golfers, at least in the US and probably worldwide, are banned from using buggies in order to maintain the physical element.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Most of us have moved on from that era."

Good for you.

I know what I regard as sport, and you know what you regard as sport.

We'll just have to leave it at that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia