We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A year of amazing sport

natdoor

Likes # 0

We have had an amazing Olympics, with great success for British athletes, a win in the Tour de France and several other memorable moments this year. But for me, the thrilling victory in the Ryder Cup at Medinah has been the pinnacle. One could hardly create a more dramatic ending. Both teams deserve immense credit for the amazing skill which they demonstrated under the toughest pressure and their sportsmanlike demeanour. All the Europeans were heroes but, for me, Poulter and Rose stood out.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

natdoor

Thanks natdoor I did not know the final score as with most sports only those that can afford it can watch it.

Maybe the government should jump in now as they want more kids to take up sports but no good if they can't watch it.

Maybe when the next olympics come here they may take up the sport again and in between it will just die away again.

All I can say is a fantastic win for the Europe team down but not out springs to mind.

The USA looked as though they were going to win easily,It must have been a great fight back by the European team.It would have been even better if we could have watched it live.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I watched it live and you could feel the tension in the air. My theory is that the Yanks thought they had it won, went in to the last day thinking they couldn't possibly be caught. They forgot the old saying "It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings" etc....

It was a good job I was able to have a lie in this morning after a boozy weekend and then not getting asleep until after midnight last night.

As you say though I think these things should be on BBC. But then I don't pay a license fee now. Maybe if they made all of us pensioners pay for one, they could afford to compete for these sporting occasions. Then again if some of the stupid programs such as Eastenders were taken off air that would give them cash to spare.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...if some of the stupid programs such as Eastenders were taken off air that would give them cash to spare."

That stupid programme gets over 8 million viewers - it's one of TV's top three or four audiences each week. There's no chance of that cash being spare any time soon.

As for pensioners paying for licences - they do for the first ten years. You don't get a free licence until you're 75.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I managed to see an hour or so live on Saturday at my golf club. I live too far away to go there just to watch so had to listen to the rest on Radio5Live. Obviously watching would have been better but it was still exciting. There have been highlights on BBC of the first two days and highlights of all three days at 7 pm on BBC2. There must be too many highlights for one hour though.

There are, I believe, a few national sporting events which must be available for general viewing but I don't see the Ryder Cup being added to the list. The BBC probably could not outbid Sky even if they dispensed with their coverage of other events, such as Formula 1.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

FE. Yes I meant to put the words "older pensioners". Others wouldn't agree of course but I must admit I am able to afford to pay and maybe there should be some opt in system.

As you can tell I am not a fan of soaps at all, I think there are far too many on the box and also far too many programs about antiques and cookery etc. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any, but there doesn't seem to be much of an alternative if you switch on in the daytime.

I think there should be more educational types of programs such as history etc. National Geographic would be a good source of programs to educate us ignorant types.

But I also think we need much more sports coverage. I love it and always have, not just because we have had a good year. Let's hope our younger generation are inspired by the year we have had. I wonder if I could still qualify for the pistol shooting or the archery in the next Olympics...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"as with most sports only those that can afford it can watch it."

Most sport is free.

It is the highly paid professional entertainers, with their high fees, which you have to pay to watch, and that applies whether it's on a golf course, football field, or in a Las Vegas high spot!

The labourer is worthy of his/her hire, and good luck to them. For many of them it's high risk and short lived, but sport it is not.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Highlights of the Golf on BBC2 tonight at 7Pm if anyone is interested in watching it.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I play an online golf game,& found myself comparing some of the Ryder cup holes to some of those within the golf game.I also noted that the games physics were often pretty close to some of the shots I watched.The game is populated by hundreds of "Tiger_Woods" (and its numerous possible spelling derivatives such as Tig3rW00ds etc)& I was repeatedly asked which team I was supporting,and whenever I said "European of course" I was ridiculed as USA were 10-4,but patience is a virtue & I noticed they all were somewhat quieter today. :)

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Wonder if it was Seve Ballesteros keeping the USA Puts from going into the holes.They looked as though all they had to do was drop but they did everything but.

Their putting was good but they just would not drop and obviously that was the difference between the two sides.

It may be known in the future as Seve's last match.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And meanwhile... the choice for Sports personality of the Year just became even more difficult.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......