We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sir James.

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see Sir James Savile OBE is getting a posthumous revival.

Will these allegations get anywhere, or will they just become a platform for people to air their gravest suspicions?

Why did nobody come forward whilst he was alive?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

Jimmy Saville was pretty well known in the Royal Marines. He completed quite a few very hard physical tests and was always welcomed in the Corps wherever he went.

However, I was once at an occasion where because there were so many people to be fed we were all waiting in a queue at the Sergeants' Mess. He was an honorary member of the mess, but he also thought he could do as he liked and decided he wasn't going to wait in the queue. So he arrived at the head of it just as I was reaching it too and tried to get in front of me. I very politely told him that he might be allowed to get in front of other people but he was not going to get in front of me. He was then slowly edged backwards by others in the queue, until he was allowed in by a few wives who were also waiting. Maybe he was irresistible to women! He didn't seem a very likeable bloke to me though. But he brought a lot of publicity to the Corps.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

The man is now dead,I fail to see why it's deemed neccessary to have this story going round.Or is the CPS going to dig him up & summon him to court?JS alleged victims will still have their demons even if the stories are proved true.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"JS alleged victims will still have their demons even if the stories are proved true."

Chegs ®™ is absolutely right. I know, my mother's behaviour still haunts me forty years later.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

"I fail to see why it's deemed neccessary to have this story going round."

That might probably be because you don't know what it feels like to have been sexually abused, or raped by an older person when you were very young. People who have those experiences never forget them, and they are often filled with suppressed rage. If the perpetrator is a very famous person it can deter a victim from coming forward whilst the person is alive - at least one of Saville's alleged victims has spoken about how she said nothing because she knew nobody would want to believe her because of Saville's fame for good works.

Each day seems to bring new revelations as victims decide to speak out, and now two of them have decided to reveal their identities. You don't do that if you are fabricating a story, you do it if you finally have courage enough to face the inevitable publicity. Cynics will talk of these women selling their stories, but think about how they must have felt over the years, every time they saw their attacker being lauded for his charitable works, and you might feel a degree of sympathy for them.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

*Chegs ®™ "I fail to see why it's deemed neccessary to have this story going round."*

If the said person did what is alleged, and is, therefore, a child rapist and molester,then it needs to be shouted from the rooftops in order that people realise exactly what kind of person had been extensively lauded for his 'good works'.

Presumably there will be a full and proper investigation of all claims, by appropriate authorities, before any conclusion is reached.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

wee eddie, I think we have to make it clear that there is a distinct difference between a teenage boy having sex with a 15 year old girl and a predatory older male who showed symptoms that he had an Oedupus Complex and preferred defenseless young girls to have sex with. I say his complex showed those signs because he was unable to have an intimate emotional relationship with a woman nearer his age group.

I was 17 when I met a girl of 15 (and she told me she was 16). The sex was consensual and no force was given. A mite different than what we're presented with by Mr 'how's about that then' (followed by silly gutteral sounds.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Presumably there will be a full and proper investigation of all claims, by appropriate authorities, before any conclusion is reached."

People will reach their conclusions, regardless. The difficulties with things like this are considerable. The alleged perpetrator is dead, so there can be no charges, no trial, no defence or prosecution evidence, no conviction and no formal sentencing. You can say what you like about a dead person because he or she has ceased to exist, and cannot object, refute a word or offer any defence.

What can happen is a form of setting straight as far as the public record is concerned. If enough convincing evidence comes to light (and it can only be verbal evidence) society at large can be informed that perhaps a person who was considered a national institution may have been a criminal. The work that Jimmy Saville did on behalf of charity is a fact, and that isn't going to change. What will certainly change now is the public's perception of him as being a thoroughly decent person. Accusations like the ones that have been made will be remembered, regardless of what happens in the future.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"People will reach their conclusions, regardless."

As was the case in the barber's this morning, "I always knew he was odd", "There's no smoke without fire", " It doesn't surprise me at all" etc, etc, etc.

"Accusations like the ones that have been made will be remembered, regardless of what happens in the future." How true...

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

I understand from one report that other older male celebrities entered into his sordid world in his dressing room.

I hope all the people who condoned his sexual depravities feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"Accusations like the ones that have been made will be remembered, regardless of what happens in the future."

Which is exactly how the gutter press operates, make lurid accusations, retract the story and pay libel charges if necessary, but the story is always out there and dirt sticks...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)