We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sir James.

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see Sir James Savile OBE is getting a posthumous revival.

Will these allegations get anywhere, or will they just become a platform for people to air their gravest suspicions?

Why did nobody come forward whilst he was alive?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

OK, now I understand. Actually you were responding to my comment - Quickbeam was simply quoting me. That's what caused the confusion.

The ITV programme airs tomorrow, and no doubt we'll have more to say then.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Actually, whether he is guilty or not, is only one side of the coin, although one should not think I'm belittling the suffering it may have caused.

But what is really of a concern, is if individuals in the BBC knew this was going on and covered it up. Furthermore, it opens the question, was it going on with others as well? Gary Glitter is already well known for his transgressions, so how many more are there? And were they too swept aside with impunity, having no thought for the victims.

Jimmy Savile may be dead, but who is still alive that by failing to act, by implication condoned those actions - if true?

This is a potential hornets nest, and once it's broken open, who knows who will get stung?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's a few people at the moment feeling decidedly twitchy.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

LastChip

The BBC finally seems to have realised that it must take this matter seriously

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

"Those of you who are not haunted by abuse, or terrible events, in the past really have no idea what you are talking about"

So, in your view, opinions about matters may only be discussed by those with direct involvement in them? So, presumably, I require to be executed before giving an opinion on capital punishment?

"..there may well be other victims " - and they are not being forced to come forward are they? The choice is for them, surely?

Are you saying that ALL child abuse cases should now be ignored because victims are caused mental hurt each time any case is mentioned?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Maybe Esther might make a bbc program about Jimmy and the a cover up if she so chooses to investigate the allegations and give her view as she mentioned about rumours and only rumours. Victims will come foward but i may suspect it could be another motive.

Are the allegations only from the 1970's or any other gerneration period. There might be someone will do research and rigt sorry write a book about only allegations.

Would Jimmy use fear to instill into others, we will have to wait and see.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

spider9, "So, in your view, opinions about matters may only be discussed by those with direct involvement in them? So, presumably, I require to be executed before giving an opinion on capital punishment?".

No, that is not my view and not what I said. As for the rest of your post, I'll just say that I stand by the words, of mine, you quoted. This case should be dealt with calmly and thoroughly, not shouted about from the rooftops.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My own view, as I have tried to explain earlier in the thread, is this.

If JS sought out Under Aged Girls. Then his reputation is as nothing and any action that can be taken, should be.

However, if some/all of these girls came to him, pretending to be above the age of consent and/or lied to him about their actual age. Then there is a much more difficult problem to address.

Because, in the Entertainment Industry, there are a large number of young people seeking to gain kudos with their Peer Group by boasting of such liaisons.

That he did have liaisons with under-age girls is without doubt. Whether he knew they were under-aged, or sought out the under-aged, is what will have to be sorted out.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

Please do me the courtesy of using the full quote I made about 'shouting from the rooftops'.

"If the said person did what is alleged, and is, therefore, a child rapist and molester,then it needs to be shouted from the rooftops..."

I did clearly say "IF...." and followed this by saying a full investigation would be required first - is that not exactly the position you are taking?!

Maybe our disagreement is what happens if there is shown to be abuse - I then want it publicised (to hopefully deter otheres) you seem to want to keep it under wraps.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'If,' which was the point I was making after the hangin' jury in the barbers reached a unanimous guilty as hell verdict withing 2 minutes of it's mention on that most knowledgable of media sources... daytime TV.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wee eddie

"That he did have liaisons with under-age girls is without doubt. Whether he knew they were under-aged, or sought out the under-aged, is what will have to be sorted out."

I think the telling fact about all this is that there seems to be a picture emerging of a man who did not seek out women of his own age - people have spoken about him as someone who specifically sought young girls. Nobody appears to be coming forward to say 'I was Jimmy's girlfriend at the time', but plenty of people have said 'Jimmy sexually assaulted me when I was 15 (or 16)'. We're hearing stories which, if true, tell us of a man who preyed on under-age girls if he could, and raped slightly older girls on more than one occasion. It's hard not to draw the conclusion that this man was a serial abuser of under-age girls, and the fact that it is theoretically possible that he may not have known their exact ages in all instances doesn't materially alter the case. It may have provided him with some mitigation if he had been prosecuted, but that's an academic point at this stage.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger