We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sir James.

Phil Ocifer
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see Sir James Savile OBE is getting a posthumous revival.

Will these allegations get anywhere, or will they just become a platform for people to air their gravest suspicions?

Why did nobody come forward whilst he was alive?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Presumably there will be a full and proper investigation of all claims, by appropriate authorities, before any conclusion is reached."

People will reach their conclusions, regardless. The difficulties with things like this are considerable. The alleged perpetrator is dead, so there can be no charges, no trial, no defence or prosecution evidence, no conviction and no formal sentencing. You can say what you like about a dead person because he or she has ceased to exist, and cannot object, refute a word or offer any defence.

What can happen is a form of setting straight as far as the public record is concerned. If enough convincing evidence comes to light (and it can only be verbal evidence) society at large can be informed that perhaps a person who was considered a national institution may have been a criminal. The work that Jimmy Saville did on behalf of charity is a fact, and that isn't going to change. What will certainly change now is the public's perception of him as being a thoroughly decent person. Accusations like the ones that have been made will be remembered, regardless of what happens in the future.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"People will reach their conclusions, regardless."

As was the case in the barber's this morning, "I always knew he was odd", "There's no smoke without fire", " It doesn't surprise me at all" etc, etc, etc.

"Accusations like the ones that have been made will be remembered, regardless of what happens in the future." How true...

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

I understand from one report that other older male celebrities entered into his sordid world in his dressing room.

I hope all the people who condoned his sexual depravities feel thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"Accusations like the ones that have been made will be remembered, regardless of what happens in the future."

Which is exactly how the gutter press operates, make lurid accusations, retract the story and pay libel charges if necessary, but the story is always out there and dirt sticks...

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I did also say these alleged victims will still have their demons,and all the media attention directed towards JS & these victims will do little towards the victims laying these demons to rest.I have my own demons,I'm presently recieving physcoanalysis(unsure of spelling)for these & after every visit to the analyst I have nightmares for the rest of the week.One of my nightmares reminds me of a personal tragedy from almost 20yrs ago & I'd managed to live with this without the nightmares for the past ten years,the nightmares only returned after talking about this tragedy with the analyst.This media storm about JS will not give his alleged victims anything but refreshed memories of their traumas.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"If the said person did what is alleged, and is, therefore, a child rapist and molester,then it needs to be shouted from the rooftops in order that people realise exactly what kind of person had been extensively lauded for his 'good works'."

I assume you have not considered the possibility that there may well be other victims who just want to try to forget about what was done to them? People for whom this publicity is just making life harder and more unpleasant.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Seems I should have read Chegs ®™ last post before mine as I think he is making a similar point.

Those of you who are not haunted by abuse, or terrible events, in the past really have no idea what you are talking about. I have suffered from depression almost all my life thanks to my wonderful upbringing. I am damned sure I would not want the story of my childhood made public knowledge.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

"Which is exactly how the gutter press operates, make lurid accusations, retract the story and pay libel charges if necessary, but the story is always out there and dirt sticks..."

You seem to have completely missed the point on this occasion. The allegations against Jimmy Saville haven't been made by the gutter press at all - they've been made by the individuals who say they suffered from his attentions. Two of those people have chosen to reveal their identities, which must have taken some courage.

Another revelation has been made today by Jersey Police, that in 2007 they heard allegations from a former resident of the Haut de la Garenne children's home saying that Saville was involved in an indecent assault there in the 1970s. Saville was obviously still alive in 2007, but the police said there was insufficient evidence for a prosecution to proceed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

I can quite understand why you posted as you did - and why Chegs ®™ says much the same thing, but let's remember a couple of things...

Firstly, the allegations are being made by the victims, not by anyone else.

Secondly, people who have had this kind of experience are surely going to go through the same anguish every time there's a child abuse case in the news - the Saville story is no different to many others, and it certainly isn't a reason for not discussing the subject. Nobody's childhood experiences are going to be made public unless they choose to do it themselves.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

You seem to have completely missed the point on this occasion

Not missed the point, just responding to Quickbeam's point about accusations, and how they can cause damage even if found to be untrue.

I understand that the current accusations against Jimmy Saville are from alleged victims, and were first brought to the attention of the BBC, who investigated and decided not to run with the story. Now further claims have been made and presented to ITV who are running with it, maybe because a little more time has passed and more people are willing to talk.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes