We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Re swallows & Swifts thread, what about Bats!

Blackhat

Likes # 0

I have lived in the same house in suburban Birmingham for 25 years and usually get the Swifts & Swallows every year but this year I have a cloud of Bats instead.

Never seen a bat around here before, any reason I should get them this year?

The video link might work, poor quality & a bit boring but 1st time using video function on my DSLR.

Video of bats

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Don't know what happened with the spelling in the title, copied from word file that was OK.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you have a cloud of bats the chances are strong that they are roosting nearby. All bats are protected by law, and you commit a criminal offence if you disturb or destroy their roosting site, or do anything to stop or hinder their access to it.

Keep you fingers crossed that they haven't decided to occupy your roof space.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Birmingham City council in conjunction with other bodies did a bat survey in 2006, and still might be involved in bat conservation projects. Perhaps worth contacting them for more information and advice?.

Failing that, you could try http://www.bats.org.uk who will offer advice and possible contacts in your area.

Remember, even handling bats in the UK can lead to possible prosecution unless you are qualified-trained and have an appropriate licence. Its surprising how some people never know about bat roosts in their area, until they catch the odd sightings or read of a possible demolition that a find as been made.

If you want to see and photograph some big bat roosts outside the UK, then perhaps Batu Caves just outside Kuala Lumpur might be a starting point?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If I was considering a loft conversion to my house and it just so happened that bats had decided to make their homes in the attic [all hypothetical], would I then be unable to go ahead with the improvement(s) to my house because of the flying furry creatures?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - Yes, you would need to get expert advice and approval before commencing or completing the work.

But some people including company's might ignore this 'pleading ignorance', with possible heavy prosecutions later?.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

No bats seen around our bungalows, but

might as well jump to another night creature!

Seen on our patio trellis a month or so ago. Escaped from his local cage.

Two second exposure, no flash ( didn't want to blind it or frighten it off before the owner arrived.) through

bedroom window hence photo quality:

Eagle Owl

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Remember, even handling bats in the UK can lead to possible prosecution"

And rabies!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2509375.stm

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have a few bats flying around at my stables for years, never managed to find where they come from. I think they must have a roost in a hollow tree or in some old WW2 air defence bunkers in the woods out the back. Been there all the time I have had the stables - last 30 years.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I thought this thread was about mother in laws. (or should that be mothers in law)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

"(or should that be mothers in law)"

Yep, it should.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more