We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cover-up by the Vatican?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

The trial of the Pope's butler started today - he's the man who is accused of stealing confidential documents from the Pope's desk and leaking the contents to a journalist who subsequently wrote a book about corruption in the Vatican.

Paolo Gabriele has admitted that he knew taking the documents was wrong but he felt the Holy Spirit was inspiring him to shed light on the problems he saw around him.

So far, so good, but the Vatican judges have refused to admit any evidence from Paolo's defence lawyers, saying they will rely solely on evidence from Vatican Police and the Vatican prosecutor. It's about as blatant a case of denying a person the right to defend himself as I've seen yet. It's a classic cover-up of course - the Vatican is terrified that details of corrupt practices amongst senior Vatican figures will be made public.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It is a first.

I wrote a fairly lengthy post about the way the Vatican is conducting this trial (which was really the purpose of the thread), and after I had posted I noticed a factual error in what I had said. I decided to edit the text, and accidentally clicked on the delete button.

Anyway, the point of my post was that the Vatican judges - there are three of them, sitting as a panel- have ruled that no defence evidence relating to the content of the stolen documents will be admitted in mitigation. The way this court works is that neither the prosecution or defence lawyers are allowed to question the accused person directly. They must submit questions to the judges, who then question the accused.

At any point the Pope can intervene to stop the trial if he wishes. He can also grant an absolute pardon after sentencing.

It's all very17th century,and designed to allow the Vatican to ensure that it can prevent the outside world from glimpsing any dirty laundry. We are accustomed to seeing this kind of thing going on in totalitarian states, but when it's sanctioned by one of the world's most influential spiritual leaders it's a disgrace.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Sorry, you would need to copy and paste the entire link to view, I suspect PCA filtering removed part of the wording from the link

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I believe there are people inside the Vatican who can see what is wrong, but they can do nothing. The Vatican administration is in the hands of a few influential members of the Catholic hierarchy, and political in-fighting is rife. It's the perfect breeding ground for corruption, and for the denial of justice, if senior figures want to draw the veil of secrecy tighter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Al94 your link, it's the _ that mess it up. Anything between 2 of them turns to italics and breaks the link when you do a straight paste of url. Try this one: Al94's link

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'after I had posted I noticed a factual error in what I had said. I decided to edit the text'emphasized text

Which we still can't do!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

strong text

Hmm, just highlight the text and then click on the big black B ... under reply to this topic ...

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, think I'll go back to bed!

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Aside from the opportunity to do so papal and catholic bashing it would be good if people got their facts straight before spouting nonsense. This butler is no defender of free speech, he is a common and garden thief who was also caught with stolen cheques, gold and gifts intended for the pope.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

So what about all the Cover-ups and moving priests about, shelling out thousands for there misdemeanours over many years messing with children. All over the world

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing