We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cover-up by the Vatican?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

The trial of the Pope's butler started today - he's the man who is accused of stealing confidential documents from the Pope's desk and leaking the contents to a journalist who subsequently wrote a book about corruption in the Vatican.

Paolo Gabriele has admitted that he knew taking the documents was wrong but he felt the Holy Spirit was inspiring him to shed light on the problems he saw around him.

So far, so good, but the Vatican judges have refused to admit any evidence from Paolo's defence lawyers, saying they will rely solely on evidence from Vatican Police and the Vatican prosecutor. It's about as blatant a case of denying a person the right to defend himself as I've seen yet. It's a classic cover-up of course - the Vatican is terrified that details of corrupt practices amongst senior Vatican figures will be made public.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan I'm not sure there's any process whereby the Pope can stand down - in the past they've normally had foreshortened lifespans

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

So if I understand correctly from woolwells link, a pontif can resign or die, but cannot otherwise be removed. But something else struck me, and I shall quote the paragraph in question

Apart from stating that, if the See of Rome is completely impeded, no innovation is to be made in the governance of the universal Church, and that the special laws enacted for these circumstances are to be observed, canon law makes no provision for the eventuality that a Pope is temporarily or permanently incapacitated for reasons of health, an assassination attempt or captivity, nor does it indicate what individual or body or group has the authority to certify that the Pope is totally impeded from exercising his office.

As I see it, if the pope were (hypothetically) to become senile- not an impossibility given the advanced ages that popes tend to be- then he couldn't enact any great changes to the church. Which seems sensible enough. But it also seems to say that no one is qualified to say that any such senility is severe enough to restrict a reigning (is that the term?) pope.

WTM

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Sorry, I'd forgotten about that, but to be fair, it's not happened for the best part of 600 years, and was normally done for reasons of either greed, or under the threat of death

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

Because the Pope is Infallible, and chosen by God, there is no way he can be removed from his post, because everything he does is correct and by God's will.

If, as you mention, a Pope becomes senile, it is God's will and has happened for a reason - perhaps to restore the child like wonder at the head of the Church?

It's all rubbish of course, the Vatican is possibly one of the most corrupt organisations on Earth, but the sheep keep following...

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The sheep do continue to follow but in much smaller flocks. Ireland is a prime example where the dominance of the Catholic Church has been swept away in recent times due to paedophilia and other crimes in the priesthood. Exposure of the levels of corruption at higher levels would help to further damage the credibility of this outdated organisation and boy, do they know that!

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Exposure of the levels of corruption at higher levels would help to further damage the credibility of this outdated organisation and boy, do they know that!"

This is simply not the case.

A few rumblings in Ireland or Malta are not the pre-indications of a Catholic revolt.

The vast numbers in South America, parts of Europe, and Asia will hardly even be aware of them, and if they were a parochial letter would soon snuff out any interest, on pain of damnation.

Remember that, like Islam, Catholicism recognizes only one religion, and the ideal is that religion throughout the world, using, in the past, force if necessary.

They may not be as militant as Islam any longer, but they have had their own Jihads in the Crusades and the Armada.

The only major setback to Catholicism has been the Reformation, and that is not going to happen again any time soon.

Don't let blind prejudice lead you to think of Catholicism as pure mumbo jumbo. It is still, and will remain, a world influencing force.

They are in it for the long term, and the Jesuits, for instance, have a two thousand year old intelligence network that makes MI5 and the CIA look like boys at play.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm - it may have been Divine intervention from above ;o]

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

**"Exposure of the levels of corruption at higher levels would help to further damage the credibility of this outdated organisation and boy, do they know that!"

This is simply not the case.

A few rumblings in Ireland or Malta are not the pre-indications of a Catholic revolt.**

Much more than a few rumblings in Ireland or Malta. I suggest you take time to read this Morddwyd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholicsexabuse_cases

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK