We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cover-up by the Vatican?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

The trial of the Pope's butler started today - he's the man who is accused of stealing confidential documents from the Pope's desk and leaking the contents to a journalist who subsequently wrote a book about corruption in the Vatican.

Paolo Gabriele has admitted that he knew taking the documents was wrong but he felt the Holy Spirit was inspiring him to shed light on the problems he saw around him.

So far, so good, but the Vatican judges have refused to admit any evidence from Paolo's defence lawyers, saying they will rely solely on evidence from Vatican Police and the Vatican prosecutor. It's about as blatant a case of denying a person the right to defend himself as I've seen yet. It's a classic cover-up of course - the Vatican is terrified that details of corrupt practices amongst senior Vatican figures will be made public.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Nothing new there then, been going on for centuaries

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Kevscar1 Fully Agree. Not for much longer

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This has been the biggest security breach at the Vatican within living memory, and probably of all time.

Corruption may have been going on for centuries, but the theft (from his desk) and publication of the Pope's private documents has not.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

If its all been published in a book what's to keep secret? You'd think it was the Masons!

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 1

Mr Gabriele has told investigators that he stole and leaked the documents because he was appalled by the "evil and corruption" within the Vatican, which he described as "the kingdom of hypocrisy".

The sooner this corrupt "cult" is exposed for what it really is - the better. But the chances are I would say, slim.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

A conspiracy theorist's wet dream.

WTM

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

These unholy revelations at the Vatican remind me of Watergate, when the US President had no other option, but to stand down.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Interesting comparison Aitchbee. But has any pontif in history ever stood down?

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

WTM - I must confess it hasn't happened recently ... but was not Watergate 'a first' regarding Richard Nixon's resignation?

[BTW - The Bold/Italic options above this reply box are nowhere to be seen, as well as the 'output box' which usually appears below.]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...