We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

same product half price

mobileman1953

Likes # 0

Went to high street chemist had flu injection cost £12.99 , noticed today in local supermarket flu injection£7 with voucher for free coffee , chemist must be making collossel profit

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Why did you go to a chemist for a flue injection, you can get it for free just by being near some body who already has flue and is coughing a lot.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I get my flu jab free from the GP practise I am registered with, as do many other people who fit certain criteria's laid down by the NHS.

But going back to chemist shop prices, then a look at most supermarkets, who will reveal savings on most everyday non-prescription medical products.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"chemist must be making collossel profit" - Probably not. The chemist will have significant overheads whilst the supermarket is able to achieve economies by scale. High Street shops are often struggling to survive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Chemists ten to stick to Retail Prices.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

sorry for the mistake need some more keys on this dam keyboard tend not ten

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Not just people stuff.

I can get Frontline for my kitty at prices between £10 and £18 for 3 treatments depending on where I get it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This kind of thing is what defines a free market economy. Shops are free to set their own selling prices in order to compete for business.

The downside for small retailers is that they can't get the same bulk discounts as the supermarkets, so they start with a disadvantage, unless they take advantage of one of the various cooperative supply organisations which buy in bulk and distribute to their member shops. Cash and Carry warehouses serve a similar purpose, enabling small businesses to buy at more favourable prices.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

On a slightly allied topic, if my experience is shared by others then on-line shopping may benefit the local High Street.

I increasingly find that whereas before I would do all of my shopping in a "one stop, easy park" retail park, I now buy a lot on-line, but for the small things which are not worth the hassle of a separate order I tend to shop locally.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

ive been offered jab at gp but declined just like last year and the year b4. Ive only had oen twice. Reason for not having it well when i have it i come down with the dam flu. When i dont have it i dont have the flu. But maybe it works one way for people and another way for others

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July