We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need a big table cloth for this

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

The world's tallest Ferris wheel is to be created in New York and would you really want to go on it on a windy day Ferris wheel I just thought it sounded funny when the article said it had been unveiled by the city's mayor and the picture of a rather large cloth covering it sprung into my mind.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Hmm...

I think I'll let it run for a couple of years before chancing a ride. Being suspended 190 metres in the air on what looks like a big bicycle wheel isn't my first choice when it comes to finding a fun thing to do.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Not my kind of thing. I want to pee when watching a Plane go over a high Cliff on TV

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Now that's another good reason to go to New York! I love Ferris wheels and although the enclosed London Eye type are nice I prefer the old ones where you sit in the open air with a swinging seat. The higher the better for me - but as for roller coasters most of them scare me to death - the pace of water flumes is more to my liking.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I wouldn't want to go on it, but I look forward to the inevitable National Geographic programme about it.

Given the extremes of New York weather the engineering challenges will be tremendous.

Quite apart from some pretty strong winds, the temperature extremes will cause some significant expansion and contraction.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It would be like being 'stuck-in-a-lift' with 40 other people for half-an-hour...that sounds like fun!

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee Yes but what a great way for meeting people and making new friends.....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I never thought of that.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry but that thing does not sound like some thing I would like to be stuck in, imagine being in a car that has only just filled up and moved to the next car for filling and there is a problem.

How long would you be in it before you got back to the starting point,

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

The drive mechanism for these big wheels is extremely simple. The London eye wheel is driven by hydraulic motors which turn ordinary lorry tyres that run above and below the wheel's rim at the bottom; you can see them quite clearly when you're waiting to board.

The wheel is driven by friction - both sets of tyres are in contact with the rim. The upper set runs in one direction and the lower set runs in the opposite direction. It all works perfectly, it's just a question of changing the tyres at appropriate intervals. The one component that takes a considerable load is the bearing on the central hub - the whole weight of the wheel and its passengers is taken by that bearing.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

What about if it gets a puncture????? Woooo

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED