We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Chimes Up!

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I couldn't resist the obvious Sun-esque title.

Thinking back to the '60s & early '70s, there was always an ice cream van most nights doing the rounds and we weren't fat then. I think it's probably just a lame excuse and probably easier way to take them off the roads for food hygiene reasons myself.

• Tags:
Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Quickbeam you must be to young to remember all the trouble with these monstrosities as they plied their evil trade, fat and obese children jumping under these vans to stop them so they could get their daily fix.

Parents worried about the noise that could effect their child's hearing as these ice cream vans gave out sounds meant to entice money from little innocent children.

Councils who wanted more money from these vans until they wanted so much the vans are now not profitable.

It's got to be at least 10 years since I heard a van in our area my kids can't even remember them properly.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

They are usually up my street at least once a day and I would say must be pretty expensive if you have 3 or 4 kids wanting one.

I would say they are as noisy as the 60's ones if not noisier.

It was a known fact in those days that there was a 300% profit on all ice cream sold.Not sure if it is the same mark up as today.

There were a few folk killed in the Glasgow ice cream war around about the 60's 70's so a lot of money to be made from it.Mind you not sure if drugs were also sold at the same time which caused the problems.

Also ice cream vans in Scotland you could buy cigarettes, Bottles of Pop, and even potatoes in some of them.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Oops it was the 1980's that the Glasgow ice cream wars took place so got my dates wrong.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The Glasgow Ice Cream Wars were nothing to do with Ice Cream.

Ice Cream Vans were the chosen method of Drug Distribution in Glasgow at the time.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Ok thanks for that. I did think that it may have been drug related but was not sure.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I was horrified to learn that for our "Festival" the council asked for £1000 for a pitch.Thats an awful lot of ice-creams to sell in 2 days,especially in bad weather to make a profit.It isn't just ice-cream vans the council fleece for pitches,we had a burger van outside a nightclub that had operated for years on the same spot until the council decided he had to pay a hefty sum to operate from the corner of a carpark,rather than pay he simply quit trading.

A mate of mine used to drive an Ice-cream van,the youth of today would embarrass a sex-worker with some of their comments to the drivers & I'd find my post deleted if I typed even some of the milder ones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote