We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tablet on / off switch

paddyjack

Likes # 0

Does anybody know of a 10in tablet with front facing on/off switch?

It is just some research for my quadriplegic brother, he uses a stick in his mouth to operate keyboards and such, hence the front switch.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

This one has on/off switch on Top, is that any good?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If her still has speech there are some with voice commands, even for on/off.

Like this post
X7-250

Likes # 0

you may also need to consider the touch screen technology,

screens are either resistive or capacitive, the former works simply from pressure, the latter works through conductivity of touch by skin.

maybe the stick is conductive, but if not, you may need a resistive screen.

Like this post
paddyjack

Likes # 0

X7-250 the touch screen he can manage I managed to convert the 'stick' to a stylus by chopping up a 'Neat Cosmonaut' stylus that he had swipe function is not the easiest though.

Got some things to work on.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I have an iPad and very rarely fully switch it off as one of the big advantages of a tablet is its "always on" no boot up.

It has an autolock which sort of shuts the machine down after a set number of minutes. It restarts by pushing the front button.

Like this post
paddyjack

Likes # 0

Thanks bremner was inclined towards the iPad as it seemed to fit the bill but he is not a great Apple fan unfortunately. We will press on.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think your brother would encounter difficulties with the pinch action on an iPad screen. I use an iPad extensively - I'm using one one to write this - and the pinch action screen resize is indispensable as far as I'm concerned. The iPad screen is capacitive, and relies on two points of skin contact . Pointers or fingernails won't work. You'll find that most new tablet screens are capacitive.

Like this post
paddyjack

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone for the input, think its back to the drawing board and a rethink

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

There are now a number of pointers / stylus for the iPad - a friend swears by his. I am not sure which one he has but this is an example iPad Pen

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'