We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Today's Kindle Book Offer at Amazon

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just downloaded my 99p book from Amazon Kindle. It is about Bletchly Park (and of course the Enigma machine) and I am sure those of you who are interested in this kind of history will probably go for it too.

The accompanying blurb says it is all about the people who worked there, from the top mathematicians to the tea girls.

Some of the comments are about how good the book is but there are one or two who don't rate it. But for 99p who cares?

I've got a feeling most of us will like it, I will start reading it tonight.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sapins.

This is the book's title... The Secret Life of Bletchley Park: The WWII Codebreaking Centre and the Men and Women Who Worked There

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

There are quite a few books about Bletchly Park and Alan Turing in the Kindle books on Amazon. If you get to the page with today's 99p offer on it, you will also get links to the other books.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sorry I spelled Bletchley wrongly, (without the "e") if any of you are searching.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Like onthelimit1 I did my 'initial' GPO course at Bletchley (1974) ... our digs were at Drayton Parslow a village about 3 miles away ...we got 60p a day 'subsistance money'...enough for two pints and a packet of crisps!

I'll will look out for the book at my local library.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Bumped up to the top, as it is only on offer until midnight tonight... I'm sure more people are interested in it.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau thank you for that, another one to read on my forthcoming transatlantic flight.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

My wife's parents lived just outside the walls of Bletchley Park when they were newly weds, and although they knew there was some pretty secret work going on there they had no idea what it really was until the information finally became public knowledge in the mid 1970s.

It's a fascinating place, and the people who run the museum and maintain the buildings are extremely knowledgeable. Well worth a visit if you are in the area - not often you get to see an enigma machine in the flesh, as it were. There's also the National Museum of Computing there, so it's a double treat.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Fe. Thanks for the info. If I am in the area with time on my hands I will visit it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room